Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Does anyone know if there is an app or feature for AT&T that does this? It allows you to see who is calling and where they are calling from?

This would be helpful on my IP5 on AT&T

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I don't understand. AT&T has caller ID. It shows the name and phone number unless the caller is blocking it. If they don't show the number I don't answer it. :)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
You mean caller ID? Yes, I would assume they have it, the location is simply based off the area code, it won't show you where the person physically is, it will show you where the phone number is based.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I don't understand. AT&T has caller ID. It shows the name and phone number unless the caller is blocking it. If they don't show the number I don't answer it. :)

Actually, AT&T shows the number only. If the number happens to match a name in your contacts, then the iPhone will display it.

It IS possible for a carrier to send both Caller ID number and name info, but the name part costs money and requires a siubscription to a database, so most wireless carriers tend to forgo it.

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
Actually AT&T sends the number and the City/State for the number location. The only way to see the name is if it exists in your contact list.

It is funny though, because, for example, if my son calls my house (AT&T) from his cell, the Caller ID on my home phone will show his wireless number and his name, whereas many of the wireless numbers from other carriers in our area display the number and Wireless Caller for the name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.