Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2008
This doesn't look good...

My 2008 Dual Core iMac that's had no previous hardware issues has apparently reached the end of it's life. I restarted it last night and was greeted with something that reminded me of the 8 bit Nintendo days. Wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar looking screen and what steps I might take to fix this, or at least recover some of my files. Most are backed up but I'd really like a working computer again.

Things I've thought might be able to fix the problem that I'm planning on trying when I get home:

1) Swapping out the upgraded RAM I put in about 3 months ago with the stock RAM that came with the machine.
2) Figuring out a way to run a Boot CD (is there a Mac equivalent to Knoppix?) and try to recover the Hard Drive
3) Pray

Anything I could be missing here? If not, looks like I'm in the market for a new Mac.

(Note: The error message just says I need to restart the computer, which obviously doesn't solve the problem. The message is then repeated in different languages.)

Attachments

• Computer Malfunction.jpg
    Computer Malfunction.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 78

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This doesn't look good...

My 2008 Dual Core iMac that's had no previous hardware issues has apparently reached the end of it's life. I restarted it last night and was greeted with something that reminded me of the 8 bit Nintendo days. Wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar looking screen and what steps I might take to fix this, or at least recover some of my files. Most are backed up but I'd really like a working computer again.

Things I've thought might be able to fix the problem that I'm planning on trying when I get home:

1) Swapping out the upgraded RAM I put in about 3 months ago with the stock RAM that came with the machine.
2) Figuring out a way to run a Boot CD (is there a Mac equivalent to Knoppix?) and try to recover the Hard Drive
3) Pray

Anything I could be missing here? If not, looks like I'm in the market for a new Mac.

(Note: The error message just says I need to restart the computer, which obviously doesn't solve the problem. The message is then repeated in different languages.)
Have you tried simply restarting it again? If you get a screen that looks like this:
TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg
It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, you don't need to worry about it.
In most cases, kernel panics are not caused by an issue with your Mac. They are most likely caused by an issue external to your Mac. If the kernel panic doesn't happen again within a few weeks, you don't need to troubleshoot further.
If it does happen again, this may help:

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Have you tried simply restarting it again? If you get a screen that looks like this:
TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg
It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, you don't need to worry about it.

If it does happen again, this may help:

Looks like some good resources. I'll check them out. Thanks!

I tried restarting 3 times last night, each time with the same unfortunate result which led me to believe the hard drive became corrupted. On 2 of the 3 restarts I unplugged all peripherals I had plugged into the machine as well to see if that made a difference.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Swapping out the upgraded RAM I put in about 3 months ago with the stock RAM that came with the machine."

DO THIS FIRST.

What happens next?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.