Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Callet World is suing case-maker Hex over that company's Solo Wallet iPhone case and credit card holder. Callet alleges Hex's case is a direct copy of a case design that Callet holds a design patent for.

callethex.jpg
Callet has sued both Hex and Apple in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York for violating a design patent of Callet's design of a iPhone case and credit card holder. The company accuses Hex of manufacturing the infringing design, and Apple for selling it. Apple does not carry the Callet in its stores.
Defendants' Solo Wallet Case and Pretty Sweet Solo Wallet Case products are exemplary. The copying is so pervasive, that the defendants' products appear to be Callet World products with the same rectangular shape with rounded corners, integral card holder on the outwardly facing side of the phone cover, and gently curving edges on the back and side. Hex had many options in developing its products. Indeed, earlier Hex products did not embody the same Callet World designs. On information and belief, Hex chose to infringe Callet World's patent rights through the design of its Solo Wallet Case, Pretty Sweet Solo Wallet Case and similar products and it did so willfully.
Callet is asking the court for a judgement that the defendants have willfully infringed on the patent, an order enjoining them from continuing to infringe on it, and a judgment award to compensate Callet for financial damages.

It appears that Callet's claim is primarily with Hex and that Apple is being targeted here because it has deep corporate pockets. Like many major corporations, Apple is sued numerous times each year over a wide variety of matters.

MacRumors has uploaded the full initial filing on Scribd.

Article Link: Callet Sues Hex and Apple Over 'Slavish Copy' of iPhone Case/Wallet Design

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
An attempt of a desperate company to get a settlement? Those cases look nothing alike.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
they must be bankrupt and thats their last hope LOL and im not even surprised, just look at this ugly thing

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Doubt they will win. Especially not against Apple for selling a product. But that's what you do: find everyone you can sue against and let the courts trim it back.

grassfeeder

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
one looks like it was designed by a professional and the other looks like it was designed in home-ec class.

i'll let you all decide which is which.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I think they're horrible ideas. The last thing I need is for somebody to jack my phone AND my credit cards in one fell swoop. Not to mention, hold one of those up to your ear to talk and you make yourself a bigger target to thieves.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Seriously!? This is not front page news.

1. No one cares.
2. I had a iPod touch gen 1 wallet case from case-mate in 2007 with exactly the same design.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Its an iPhone case with slots for credits cards, it can only be ONE shape really !!

this ability to sue over everything and anything is getting on my nerves now. Instead of free market competition we now have a load of companies trying to make something then sue everyone else to make sure there is no competition.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Thanks Callet, if it wasn't for your lawsuit I would of never realize crappy your products are compared to the competition.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
How in the world do they have grounds to sue Apple? Apple doesn't have anything to do with the case designs.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
From the Callet website: "After a year of research and development these young entrepreneurs have created the first ever convenient, trendy, and affordable all-in-one accessory for the Blackberry and iPhone."

Thanks guys, but don't give up the day job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.