Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Helo,

After geting help setting up a symlink structure between my SSD boot drive's home user folders and my external HDD storage folders I have a very specific question I'm hoping some people might have encountered.

You drag an original boot drive user folder such as "Music" or "Downloads" into the sidebar, you get the music icon/download icon appear.

However, after creating and placing symlinks for Movies, Pictures, Music and DOwnloads folders on my SSD's user directory and dragging the folders into the favourites sidebar I just get a folder icon, no eye catching icon which is bugging me. I have managed to change the FOLDER icon to a standard music folder/video folder etc but I can't get the original sidebar favorites icons you would normally se when dragging an original Movies/Music folder onto it.

Has anyone experienced this or have I done something wrong setting this us?

nlynch77

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2013
I have the exact same setup by the sounds of it, nice to see someone else is creative!

I didn't even notice the issue until you pointed it out. One way to fix it could be to (temporarily) delete the aliases and let OSx restore the file structure (i think it'll recreate missing user folders), drag THAT to the sidebar, then restore the symlinks. Since the symlinks have the same name and location, it might fool OSx into letting the sidebar links work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.