Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook is in talks with Apple about creating a version of its "Home" software for the iPhone, reports Bloomberg.

Originally released for Android devices earlier this month, Facebook Home puts Facebook at the front and center of the phone, displaying photos on the lock screen and transforming the chat experience with overlays called Chat Heads.

home.jpg
According to Adam Mosseri, the director of product at Menlo Park, talks are ongoing and no plans have been finalized. "We've shown them what we've built and we're just in an ongoing conversation," he said.

At a question and answer session after the unveiling of the new software Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg expressed interest in bringing Home to iOS, but mentioned that an iOS version would be harder to create as Facebook would have to work with Apple. Mosseri says that the Home software would be altered to suit Apple's preferences.
"It may or may not be Home," he said. "We could also just bring some of the design values to the iOS app. That might be how it ends up. Or we could build just the lock screen. Maybe then it's not called Home, it's called something else."
Facebook and Apple have had a troubled relationship in the past, being unable to come to a suitable agreement over Facebook integration in the now-defunct iTunes social networking feature Ping, but have worked together on Facebook integration in iOS 6 and Mountain Lion.

In addition to speaking with Apple, Facebook is also courting Microsoft. Both Apple and Microsoft representatives declined to comment on the on the situation.

Update: The Next Web disputes Bloomberg's report, claiming that no discussions are underway.
According to a source inside Facebook familiar with the discussions, the social networking company is not in talks with Apple or Microsoft, contrary to what Bloomberg has reported earlier. We've been told that while the company has good relationships with both Apple and Microsoft, right now no discussions have taken place to bring Home to those platforms.
It is, however, currently unclear how The Next Web's claim should be taken, given that Bloomberg's report is based on direct quotes from a named Facebook executive.

Article Link: Facebook in Talks With Apple to Bring 'Home' to iPhone

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Not gonna happen. Apple would never cede their precious springboard to anyone.
Meanwhile, lots of innovation happening in the Android camp. *sigh*

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
If this happens I think I will have to go back to candy-bar Nokia phones. Sometimes I miss their simplicity.

Last edited:

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
This will happen as soon as Apple releases iTunes for Windows...

...er, as soon as Apple makes a video iPod

...ah, as soon as Apple switches to Intel

...no, as soon as Apple releases a phone

...um, wait, as soon as Apple creates a tablet

...or as soon as Apple gets into the eBook market

...as soon as Apple releases an "iPad mini"

S

syd430

I also heard that Apple is going to bundle a free 30 day trial of McAfee Anti-virus on the next gen iPhone as well. /s

I don't think Apple is going to forget why people buy iPhones.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Disagree. Trying out Facebook Home on my friend's "robot phone from evil company", it feels much more industrial. And since iOS 7 probably going to have industrial design now that forstall's gone, Ive's going to probably collaborate on Facebook home on iOS with new lock screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
While having the ability to reply to a message without leaving an app would be handy, isn't the general consensus from the Android crowd that FB have created a poor alternative. I've not read many, if any, positive reviews from Android users about FB home.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Whilst I'm sure many won't want it.

What's wrong with giving iPhone users "The Choice" ?

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Apple could bundle the functionality in - make a "Facebook Wallpaper" setting for the lock screen.

Actually, thinking of that I wouldn't mind a setting for the lock screen where beautiful curated pictures randomly get set, maybe of a specific genre.

Personally unless all my friends were amazing photographers or you could pick a Facebook friend list that consisted of just my few friends that actually are; I have no interest in drunken party pictures or bad memes being the first thing I look at when I unlock my phone.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Well with the reviews it is getting on Google Play no thanks. Not to mention they should worry about fixing their poor mobile app rather than adding this gimmicky stuff.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
I don't even use Facebook and I think this would be a good thing. Make the system a bit more interactive, get Apple to think beyond the same static designs.

How many people actually find that pulldown menu useful?

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
This will happen as soon as Apple releases iTunes for Windows...

...er, as soon as Apple makes a video iPod

...ah, as soon as Apple switches to Intel

...no, as soon as Apple releases a phone

...um, wait, as soon as Apple creates a tablet

...or as soon as Apple gets into the eBook market

...as soon as Apple releases an "iPad mini"

Well we can be pretty sure this one really won't.

Facebook Home is all about Facebook basically taking over your phone - from the moment you turn it on, every app you launch, etc - it's all about Facebook.

Why would Apple agree to basically surrender the iPhone's Springboard? The only place you go to that isn't an app?

If Apple did this, they might as well spin off the iPhone and sell it. It's that likely to happen. They would lose all control over the only thing they really care about controlling - the user experience.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
The closest thing to Facebook home that would happen is a widget of sorts on a lock screen or somewhere else in the OS (possibly coming into ios7 as a API), no way is apple going to let Facebook takeover IOS when they wouldn't even let Verizon put their logo on the iPhone.

But hey maybe a jailbreak tweak ;p

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
no, no, NOOOOOOO!!!! I HOPE TIM COOK GETS FIRED! He's ruining a company in less then 2 years that Steve took more then 20 years to build! There is no way Steve would have ever been even open to talks about this. Tim Cook is horrible!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Why are people opposed to this. Even if you don't want facebook home, having the ability to run a third party launcher would be a nice addition. Throw in third party keyboard support while their at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.