Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I have a 2G iPod mini that seems to have just up and quit. It was working fine, until one day I plugged it into my eMac to update. I hadn't used it in a few days, and the battery had died, so the charging icon appears. I leave it alone for an hour or two, come back, and there's nothing on the screen, and it will not turn on. I unplug and replug it, and the "Syncing" screen appears. I leave it alone again, and upon my return, again, nothing on the screen. Except this time, it won't do anything. Won't turn on, even when plugged in. I tried using a wall charger, still nothing. Several days and attempts later, it still shows no signs of life.

Any idea if this is a solvable issue, or is my ancient mini truly gone? :(

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Wow, thats really old hardware, both for ipods and macs.

funny thing, I actually miss the ipod mini and the CRT Macs

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Wow, thats really old hardware, both for ipods and macs.

funny thing, I actually miss the ipod mini and the CRT Macs
I'm a bit stuck in the past with my tech, but as long as it still does what I ask of it to do, why waste the money upgrading?
Why? Because the USB cable died? :confused:
Of course, don't you know when your laptop charger breaks, you buy a new laptop? ;)

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
The iPod mini is a great capable device. I put an an SD card for flash memory in mine and it worked great until I dropped it in a glass of soda. I still use my 5th gen iPod video every day and also have a 4th gen nano as a backup. Sure then iPod mini is ancient but I LOVED mine so keep using it!

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I'm a bit stuck in the past with my tech, but as long as it still does what I ask of it to do, why waste the money upgrading?

I envy you. The eMacs were great, especially the last generation. As long as you don't miss something and the eMac works, there's no need upgrading.

Somewhere I read that the iPod mini is capable reading a 128 GB compact flash card... That's nearly the capacity of the latest iPod classic. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.