Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcgolfer85

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I've been debating if my current ownership of an iPad warrants the purchase of a MacBook Air. I'm interested in the 11inch 64GB model. It's so thin.and beautiful. What should I do?!?!?!?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've been debating if my current ownership of an iPad warrants the purchase of a MacBook Air. I'm interested in the 11inch 64GB model. It's so thin.and beautiful. What should I do?!?!?!?
Only you can decide if you need it. Just determine what you want to be able to do with it and make sure it does what you need or want. There are some things you can do with a MBA that you can't do with an iPad. Whether such things apply to you or not is for you to decide.

pcgolfer85

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I'm worried that if I purchase it I will stop using my ipad all together. First world problems...

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U come to the Vatican and ask if catholicism is good? :D

Is been discussed but OK a couple of quick ones:

iPad: All-day batt life, cool games, cool apps. Good for when u spend lots of time on public transportation.

Air: Does everything but not all-day, if u are not what people do from above paragraph then yes, there is a chance the iPad will gather dust. But that's simple enough, am sure there are family member who would love to take that out of your hands! And of course can always sell it.

I type, so while I say at some point am going to get an iPad, but it's like low priority. I played with other people's iPad and somehow that 1.5LB feels tiring to my hands. Air goes on my lap 90% of the time, very comfy. Air 11" is so thin and small, it carries and looks like a tablet!

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Only you can decide if you need it. Just determine what you want to be able to do with it and make sure it does what you need or want. There are some things you can do with a MBA that you can't do with an iPad. Whether such things apply to you or not is for you to decide.

Only you can determine your own personal need, but if you do decide to get an 11" MBA, get the larger 128GB SSD, 64GB is just too small IMO.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

Why not get one of those Targus cases that have the bluetooth keyboard? It will help you get more productivity of the iPad. If it's still not enough THEN consider swapping for the Air.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
My friend, some advice from a 65 year old, if you have to ask, the answer is NO!
My iPad is awesome, still using,(my family too) in conjunction with our 3 2011 11" MBA's depending on the configs of the new 11", we will purchase! Along with the new iPad 5! I am a first adaptor,I buy what I want, not what I need,at 65, I have earned that right!

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1

It might be convenient to have a real computer to complement your tablet. But if you do get the MBA, what will you use it for? In what way will it be convenient for you?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I have a Macbook Air and sometimes use my wife's iPad. I find the iPad very nice for consuming information, like reading news, viewing photos... that sort of thing. But if you are producing information like typing on this forum, creating digital images, etc... I find a regular computer like the Macbook much better for this than the iPad. So I would say it depends on what you use the gear for.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
traded my ipad for an 11" and the air is much better, gets as much use as my ipad ever did if not slightly more (because i dont use my pro as much now) but i still miss my iPad so will probably buy another

mim

macrumors 6502
Yes

Yes, you need it. You'll just never know how much until you get one.

I barely touch the iPad now. My 11" goes everywhere and does everything. I used to dread taking a laptop with me, they just get so painful to carry - but I never think twice about throwing the Air in my bag every morning.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Don't let the appearance of a device determine whether to buy it or not. Think about the software inside of it. After all, it's what matters most in the end.

Unless it is something you will use, I personally think it's a waste of almost $1,000. You can do 500 other things much better with that kind of money.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
I absolutely love mine.
I have a base 2011 11" that I got for 600$.
I purchased a 180gb ssd from owc and upgraded my wife's macbook with ssd which left us with a 320gb drive for backups and DVDs.

The main difference is the keyboard. If you type a lot or need more power it is a good option.

WillPwr

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
FWIW, I ended up buying a 13" MBA because I felt that the 11" MBA was too close in form for me compared to my iPad3. Ultimately, they are two different devices... but in terms of function, they do overlap in some of the services they provide.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
I'm worried that if I purchase it I will stop using my ipad all together. First world problems...

Yes, that is certainly something to be worried about.

I suggest buying the MBA and if you feel the urge to stop using your iPad, simply start another thread in the iPad forum and ask people what you should do.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I have both MacBook Air and iPad, and I wouldn't want to be without either one of them.

MBA : Programming and writing documentation (usually in LaTeX). Both of these activities can be done on an iPad, but I feel that I get better workflow with the MBA. It can often be convenient to have multiple windows open at the same time, such as when writing code, testing it, reading manuals and writing documentation in 4 different applications. Since the MBA is my only Mac, it also stores all the media content which I want to keep on my iPad (only a subset of it at a time is kept on the iPad, though).

iPad : Viewing content, reading books, manuals and web-surfing in any situation where it would be too cumbersome to use a laptop. It doesn't require a steady surface, and I can easily use it in a dusty environment without worrying about getting water or debris into the computer through the keyboard.

These are my reasons to have both. What would yours be? Do you have a Mac already?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I am now rarely using iPad - after I have macbook air (13"). Having full computer with similar weight makes iphone-MBA combination perfect. Even, I can charge my iphone from mba (without even pulling out the computer from the sleeve). I rarely read the magazine anyway. But it's just me.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

Do you already have a computer?

The MacBook Air and the iPad are two very different beasts. The iPad is a beautiful device, but it is limited in what it can do. If you're surfing the Internet, then it's great. But if you're interested in typing text, or in using software compatible with Microsoft Office, you'll need a laptop. It may be the MacBook Air, or any other laptop that pleases you. But an iPad will not do.

pcgolfer85

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I have both MacBook Air and iPad, and I wouldn't want to be without either one of them.

MBA : Programming and writing documentation (usually in LaTeX). Both of these activities can be done on an iPad, but I feel that I get better workflow with the MBA. It can often be convenient to have multiple windows open at the same time, such as when writing code, testing it, reading manuals and writing documentation in 4 different applications. Since the MBA is my only Mac, it also stores all the media content which I want to keep on my iPad (only a subset of it at a time is kept on the iPad, though).

iPad : Viewing content, reading books, manuals and web-surfing in any situation where it would be too cumbersome to use a laptop. It doesn't require a steady surface, and I can easily use it in a dusty environment without worrying about getting water or debris into the computer through the keyboard.

These are my reasons to have both. What would yours be? Do you have a Mac already?

I use a MacBook Pro for work, but have always wanted to own my own. I don't feel right using my work computer for personal reasons. I currently have a 64GB iPad and I love it.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I suggest buying the MBA and if you feel the urge to stop using your iPad, simply start another thread in the iPad forum and ask people what you should do.

I really like TC25, he's an incredible SA. Tell it like it is.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I use a MacBook Pro for work, but have always wanted to own my own. I don't feel right using my work computer for personal reasons. I currently have a 64GB iPad and I love it.

Sounds like a good reason to get your own Mac then. An iPad should be used along with a "proper" computer. But can I ask why you want the Air and not another Pro? Is it because you want it to be ultra-portable (even though you already have an iPad), or is it for aesthetic reasons?

pcgolfer85

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2008

Lol! Sad isn't it?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
LOL.

So this was on NPR a few days ago. Had to do with people at parties asking you "stuff" like if you are M.D. they ask you medicals, if you are lawyer then...

So this guy who is a car editor (expert) once got a call from a friend on a saturday afternoon, already in the show room, asking, What should I buy, the Civic or the Ferrari, and give me practical reasons for getting the Ferrari" :D

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

why not? do they let you take it home? do they tell you not to use it for personal use?

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
I sold my ipad to buy the 11" Macbook Air and youldn't be happier. might invest in the ipad mini later this year though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.