Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
is there any way to make vlc display thumbnails of video files in finder?

thank you

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Install Perian. It will generate thumbnails in Finder for non-native video containers such as AVI or MKV regardless of what your default video player is.

http://perian.cachefly.net/Perian_1.2.3.dmg

Some people, including me, have issues in Mountain Lion with it relating to sandboxing (a security process) when generating thumbnails for large video files.
Shown here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4146723?start=0&tstart=0

Try it anyway. It can be uninstalled easily from it's preference pane in System Preferences if you are not happy but it should generate thumbnails for you in Finder.

The developers have stated that there should be one last update for Mountain Lion but that was stated last year. They have been developing Perian in their spare time for years so there can be no complaints from anyone if it doesn't materialise.

Of course if you have Perian already installed ignore everything I just said. :)

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I have tried everything but i am unable to get thumbnails for my mkv files. I have perian installed but no luck. Any further suggestions?

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
I have tried everything but i am unable to get thumbnails for my mkv files. I have perian installed but no luck. Any further suggestions?

i was unable to find a solution. the only way is to install perian, which is no longer supported, so im not counting that as a solution.

mind-blowing, the way os x handles thumbnails of popular video files - it doesn't!

hope the fix is on its way with 10.9... also the retarded acceleration curve - smoothmouse app resolves that

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
This is news to me. So in 10.9 with no perian support does this mean no thumbnails?

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
This is news to me. So in 10.9 with no perian support does this mean no thumbnails?

The Perian creators could release the source code in the future for other developers to pick up the slack. Hopefully 10.9 doesn't make it completely obsolete. It's a testament to how good the program was in that there are no other all in one codec solutions for Mac that enable quicktime (and therefore finder video thumbnails) to recognise video files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.