Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
just wondering how the dell u2412m screen quality is compared to my u2713hm because my mom's in need of screen for her mini and im curious about the u2412m....i know the 24 is 1080p while my 27 is 1440p but is the color representation and contrast on the same level as my gorgeous 27, i haven't seen the 24 in any store. my mom is used to imac screens and high res ips displays so giving her a crap screen would surprise her spoiled eyes.

glasgood

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
If your mom is used to the glossy iMac screens then why not consider the 24" Dell S2440L. It uses an AMVA Panel, the colors look rich, especially Blacks and Reds. This monitor is a little reflective but no more than an iMac. Positioning the monitor is key.

The Dell U2412m is a good choice, but will your mom be happy with the anti-glare coating on the screen, some users of the Dell U2412m , Dell U2312hm find the anti-glare coating rather aggressive including myself.

Either way both monitors from Dell have a very good 3 year warranty, if the monitors develop a fault then Dell will send a replacment the very next day.

I previously owned the Dell S2440L and replaced it with a Dell U2312HM. I personally found the S2440L color / vibrancy a little harsh on my eyes. The S2440L is nearer to an iMac or Apple Cinema Display than the Dell U2312hm or U2412m. Obviously the S2440L is not going to be as good as the iMac screen or Apple Cinema display but the Dell S2440L is the closest I have seen yet to both those displays.

Finally, another consideration is the Asus 23" MX239H IPS, it has an AH-IPS screen non aggressive anti-glare coating and very good reviews.

Last edited:

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I've got both the U2713H (not HM) and the U2412M. I went to the 2713H because the latter has non PWM backlighting. (no headaches, no sore eyes) That the 2713 is wide gamut is a bonus (but it was not bought for that reason).

Antiglare is more aggresive on the 2412 but I found it a bonus because it allows more freedom in placing the monitor. Resolution, contrast and brightness is on par with its larger brother (when that one is not running in wide gamut).

I prefer the 16:10 ratio of the 2412 rather than the 16:9 of the 2713.

I like the 3 year zero pixel defect warranty and next day replacement.

I've never been able to work for more than 15 minutes or so on a glossy screen - too tiring on the eyes.

Tomales

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Denmark
Dell <> connection cable ?

Hi' glasgood (and everyone else)

Sorry to ask:

Which cable do you use to connect the Dell U2312HM with the Mac Mini ?

Reason for asking:
Have tried a DVI-HDMI cable (+ update to 10.8.3, EFI update....) with the late 2012 version.

But the text was blurry and colours wasn't as crisp as the old PC with Windows 7 (so I returned the Mac).

Thank you in advance.

// Tomales

mr.thing

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
I've got Dell U2311h which I bought back in 2010 I think. It's great E-IPS monitor, but it's matte finish is really aggressive. I'd like to upgrade to Dell S2440L but unfortunately it does not have VESA compatible mount on the back which I need and also lack Display Port.

Giuly

macrumors 68040

Sorry to ask:

Reason for asking:
Have tried a DVI-HDMI cable (+ update to 10.8.3, EFI update....) with the late 2012 version.

But the text was blurry and colours wasn't as crisp as the old PC with Windows 7 (so I returned the Mac).

Thank you in advance.

// Tomales

HDMI is not meant for computer screens, it's meant for TVs. What you need is a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable.

I've got Dell U2311h which I bought back in 2010 I think. It's great E-IPS monitor, but it's matte finish is really aggressive. I'd like to upgrade to Dell S2440L but unfortunately it does not have VESA compatible mount on the back which I need and also lack Display Port.
The U2412M is supposed to have a similar coating. If you don't like that one, the U2413 has an even less aggressive coating.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
But the text was blurry and colours wasn't as crisp
Blurry Text is a Mac thing. Apple wants high precision kerning for layout purposes, MS wants crisp text and is less interested in accuracy. Two different approaches in sub-pixel rendering algorithms. BTW, your Mini is one of the best Windows machines too. I run Win 8 Pro in Virtual box next to Snow, and it is great. Websites are much crisper on the Win machine, but the fonts are a mess so my sites look less good on Win (Windows lacks a good full UTF-8 font like Osaka on the Mac).

Crisp colours you have to explain. Colours are saturated, off, washed out, but never crisp IMO. The same screen on PC or Mac looks the same. It is long time ago Apple used AppleRGB and its bleak 1.8 gamma as default setting. Both machines are supposed to be sRGB targeted with 2.2 gamma in software out of the box.

Last edited:

Tomales

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Denmark
Sorry blanka.

You're right, saturated not crisp.

So if I run Win 8 in bootcamp instead of os x the problem issolved ?

//Tomales

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
If you're not bent on getting a dell 27" LG do a fantastic 23" e-IPS screen and it's a fraction of the cost, I've got one sitting next to my Hp ZR2440w and considering it's 1/3 the price I'm nothing short of amazed by the crisp images. performance with movies/games and color reproduction.

Just a thought ;)

glasgood

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012

Sorry to ask:

// Tomales

Hi, I currently use a Mini Display Port / Thunderbolt to Display Port cable on my Mac. I bought it off ebay. It works perfect and cost under £6.00

The Mini Display port cable fits into the Thunderbolt port. :)

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
all i got is 300-350 bucks to spend on a monitor...i might just go with the u2412m i can always return it if i dont like

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.