Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Does anyone know of an app that allows you to annotate directly on the pages of an etextbook that you have purchased? I have noteability for annotating PDF's, however, most etexts are not in PDF form. I want to be able to annotate the etext just as if I were annotating a PDF. Does an app like this even exist? Tried searching, came up with nothing. If this has been covered, please link me in the right direction!

vainhumility

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
I dont think such a thing exists. I tried finding something and couldn't so I came up with a workaround. I download the textbook from iBooks on my ipad and take screenshots of every single page. Then I import all of those screenshots to an app called Photo to PDF ($2.99) and then when the PDF is created, I put it in Dropbox and then sync it to Notability. Finally, I can annotate my textbook. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Eh, I thought about trying that, but that's a lot of work to just be able to write on my pages. Is there anyway to purchase the etext and convert it into PDF with some program (computer or ipad)?

vainhumility

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Eh, I thought about trying that, but that's a lot of work to just be able to write on my pages. Is there anyway to purchase the etext and convert it into PDF with some program (computer or ipad)?

No because almost all books now have DRM so they're protected from being converted/reproduced/etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.