Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
So my brother decided he wants a bigger harddrive for his MBP.

So i reconed no problem we will take out the old harddrive and then put in the new one, and put the old one into a external case, then he scores a extra external.

But now my problem is, i can't read the harddrive from the new install, though the moment i put the harddrive back into the MBP it works perfectly.

Is there any way to access the drive?

peder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
i doubt its the external case, because i can read other drives and i prepared the drive in the case.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
  1. Put the new drive in the external case.
  2. Put the old drive in the MBP.
  3. Connect. Power up.
  4. Copy entire old drive to new drive, using SuperDuper (free) or Carbon Copy Cloner (not free).
  5. Shutdown.
  6. Put new drive in MBP.
  7. Power up MBP.
  8. Confirm it starts up and works from the new drive.
If you have a problem at any step of the above, identify exactly which step. If you've already done the steps as listed, identify exactly which step failed. The way I read your post, you only put the new drive in the MBP, and the old drive in the MBP and the case, but not the new drive in the case.

Now you have the freedom of time to discover why the old drive doesn't work in the case. A good start would be to post:
- exactly what case it is (manufacturer, model, any options)
- exactly what the new drive is (again: manufacturer, model)
- exactly what the old drive is (manufacturer, model)
- exactly which MBP model it is (post the Model Identifier from System Information.app)

peder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
  1. Put the new drive in the external case.
  2. Put the old drive in the MBP.
  3. Connect. Power up.
  4. Copy entire old drive to new drive, using SuperDuper (free) or Carbon Copy Cloner (not free).
  5. Shutdown.
  6. Put new drive in MBP.
  7. Power up MBP.
  8. Confirm it starts up and works from the new drive.
If you have a problem at any step of the above, identify exactly which step. If you've already done the steps as listed, identify exactly which step failed. The way I read your post, you only put the new drive in the MBP, and the old drive in the MBP and the case, but not the new drive in the case.

Now you have the freedom of time to discover why the old drive doesn't work in the case. A good start would be to post:
- exactly what case it is (manufacturer, model, any options)
- exactly what the new drive is (again: manufacturer, model)
- exactly what the old drive is (manufacturer, model)
- exactly which MBP model it is (post the Model Identifier from System Information.app)

It seems it must be the dock i was using.

Though the strangest part about it is that i could copy and access the new drive if i formatted it in the dock but if i formatted it in the pc it didn't read the drive.

I eventually got a Seagate dock and it seems to work perfectly without a hitch.

What would cause the one dock not to read the harddrive? Its the first time i have ever come accross this strange behaviour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.