Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I use 3 iPads 1 as cash register terminals with Square Register.
Recently I discovered a new, similar App called Breadcrumbs. By using this App I could be saving a few $ on credit card processing fees, but.........
its only compatible with IOS6 which Ipad 1 will not accept.

Now in order to use Breadcrumbs and save money, I might have to spend money and invest into new IOS6 iPads. This, to me is a misnomer, but I seem to have no other solution to this.

Unless I can somehow install IOS6 on Ipad 1.

Is this possible at all?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I use 3 iPads 1 as cash register terminals with Square Register.
Recently I discovered a new, similar App called Breadcrumbs. By using this App I could be saving a few $ on credit card processing fees, but.........
its only compatible with IOS6 which Ipad 1 will not accept.

Now in order to use Breadcrumbs and save money, I might have to spend money and invest into new IOS6 iPads. This, to me is a misnomer, but I seem to have no other solution to this.

Is this possible at all?

It is not possible. Unfortunately you'd have to purchase newer iPads.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Is this possible at all?

Nope. Not possible.

I would also check the math on whether you are really saving that much money with this POS.

Square is no signup fee and 2.75% of the transaction for all card types as long as you swipe the card.
Breadcrumb is 1.8% + 15 cents. but not on Amex transactions which could be higher (as much as 3.5%+15 cents depending on business type).

So does the math work out in your favor. and are the features this other software will give you things you will really use/need. And what about hardware etc. Does Breadcrumb work with what you have other than your iPads (your printers, register drawers). If you have to change everything out how much will that cost you. if you look at their site you can only use MagTek iDynamo swipers and RoamPay swipers for reading your credit cards. That's $300 you'll have to pay since your Square won't work anymore. And if you don't have a Star Mircronics TSP-100 printer or APG Vasario 1416/1616 cash drawer with 320v interface, that's more hardware you may be in for. 3 full setups if you have to replace everything is just over $1000 a piece from them. That could eat up all your savings for software that isn't really that much better than what you are using now

Last edited:

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Yes I did the math.

There is Breadcrumbs Pro and BC POS.

POS uses a $15 swiper on an iPad (they credit the $15 against your first $5000 of charges in fees).

On a $10 000.00 monthly CC volume, if your swipe is above $50 (mine almost always is), the savings is about $50 as compared to Square.

The Amex 3.5% transaction fee is new to me.
I thought that it is flat 1.8% plus $.15 for all cards.

I did not invest into any hardware yet, aside from the iPads.

What is really annoying with Square is lack of customer service phone number.
They take care of business only by email, so a simple exchange of emails can take weeks due to the 4 day delay on their side. It really SUCKS!!!!
I am tired of spending weeks emailing them about a recent unjust chargeback.

Cheers
Andrzej

Nope. Not possible.

I would also check the math on whether you are really saving that much money with this POS.

Square is no signup fee and 2.75% of the transaction for all card types as long as you swipe the card.
Breadcrumb is 1.8% + 15 cents. but not on Amex transactions which could be higher (as much as 3.5%+15 cents depending on business type).

So does the math work out in your favor. and are the features this other software will give you things you will really use/need. And what about hardware etc. Does Breadcrumb work with what you have other than your iPads (your printers, register drawers). If you have to change everything out how much will that cost you. if you look at their site you can only use MagTek iDynamo swipers and RoamPay swipers for reading your credit cards. That's $300 you'll have to pay since your Square won't work anymore. And if you don't have a Star Mircronics TSP-100 printer or APG Vasario 1416/1616 cash drawer with 320v interface, that's more hardware you may be in for. 3 full setups if you have to replace everything is just over $1000 a piece from them. That could eat up all your savings for software that isn't really that much better than what you are using now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.