Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
These stories are always missing the part about what happened that led up to this, but I lol'd when the cop said "when he drew back from officers and closed his fists, that's threatening and the officers had to neutralize the threat." Apparently while holding a puppy.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Whenever I hear about cops abusing their power, it always reminds me of this classic scene from Family Matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
That article just shows one side of the story. Wait until after the trial to decide if the officers actions were justified. That cell phone video is useless too. All it shows is the incident after all the reportedly innocent behavior occurred. Of course the actual original video may show the full incident but the media loves to edit videos for maximum indignation.

If they were not justified and the arresting officer had no probable cause to arrest. Then the teen had every right to resist arrest as it would be an unlawful order, at least under GA state law. I'm just assuming FL is similar.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If the article reports the event accurately, then the Officers should be dismissed and tried for assault.

Fourteen-year-old Tremaine McMillian didn't threaten police. He didn't attack them. He wasn't armed. All the black teenager did was appear threatening by shooting Miami-Dade police officers a few "dehumanizing stares," and that was apparently enough for the officers to decide to slam him against the ground and put him in a chokehold.

We are not living in a police state, at least not yet.

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Then the teen had every right to resist arrest as it would be an unlawful order, at least under GA state law. I'm just assuming FL is similar.

Seriously? That's actually a law? Considering how many americans end up with bullets in their backs for resisting arrests, that surprising. You must have surprisingly good cops if all of their arrests are kosher.

We are not living in a police state, at least not yet.

Say what you want about the US and their Police officers. At least the US has a justice system that can actually convict Police officers. Here, they simply dont. And if some miracle he/she does get convicted of anything, he/she still has a job with no repercussions (lowered pay, demotion etc.).

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Whenever I hear about cops abusing their power, it always reminds me of this classic scene from Family Matters.

YouTube: video

I thought that show was a comedy. Where the hell is Urkelbot when you need him

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I thought that show was a comedy. Where the hell is Urkelbot when you need him

Every long running comedy has to do at least one "very special episode". I recall Diff'rent Strokes doing one on kid touchers and Growing Pains doing one where a kid dies from drunk driving.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Seriously? That's actually a law? Considering how many americans end up with bullets in their backs for resisting arrests, that surprising. You must have surprisingly good cops if all of their arrests are kosher.

It sure is. I was on jury duty a week ago. One of the charges was resisting arrest. The judge specifically mentioned before deliberation that a person has a legal right to resist arrest if the arrest isn't a lawful order. For it to be a lawful order the officer needs sufficient probable cause to perform the arrest.

It was also in the pertinent laws printed for us to dissect during deliberations. He was convicted but only on a technicality of another Georgia law that does not exist in many other states.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Notice in the video the obligatory and repeated chanting of "stop resisting!" This, to a 14-year-old scrawny boy, pinned down by two grown "men"--one holding him in a chokehold. Anyone who thinks screaming "stop resisting!" in such situations is anything other than covering-your-ass needs to wake up.

Is there a chance for video? Start the stop resisting chant...

Michael

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
That article just shows one side of the story. Wait until after the trial to decide if the officers actions were justified. That cell phone video is useless too. All it shows is the incident after all the reportedly innocent behavior occurred. Of course the actual original video may show the full incident but the media loves to edit videos for maximum indignation.

Agreed. There might be more to the story than we know.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
One thing I hate more than rotten cops are rotten cop apologists. And there is plenty of apologizing going on here.

What ever this kid say or did to these pigs does not justify him being pinned down by two grown "men" who want to be a couple of "tough guys". What kind of "tough guy" picks on a person much weaker than they are?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
One thing I hate more than rotten cops are rotten cop apologists. And there is plenty of apologizing going on here.

What ever this kid say or did to these pigs does not justify him being pinned down by two grown "men" who want to be a couple of "tough guys". What kind of "tough guy" picks on a person much weaker than they are?

You can't seriously think that people believing there is more to this story are acting as apologists, can you? I agree, there is more to this story but I do agree that pinning him to the ground was unnecessary. My guess is there was something that led up to this but nothing that suggests he should be sat on by two men. He is not a total lightweight, but let's get real. BTW, calling a cop a "pig" doesn't make you a badass.

As for the mom, she's even worse. If you are so worried about your child then how are you that calm at that moment? She just happens to calmly pull out the cell phone and starts filming?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
You can't seriously think that people believing there is more to this story are acting as apologists, can you? I agree, there is more to this story but I do agree that pinning him to the ground was unnecessary. My guess is there was something that led up to this but nothing that suggests he should be sat on by two men. He is not a total lightweight, but let's get real. BTW, calling a cop a "pig" doesn't make you a badass.

As for the mom, she's even worse. If you are so worried about your child then how are you that calm at that moment? She just happens to calmly pull out the cell phone and starts filming?

I'm sure there is more to the story but who can we believe at this point? I think the cops will say anything to ensure they don't get in any trouble while the court believes their every word. The only thing unbiased is the scene the camera recorded. Apparently, the threatening act that caused the two officers to pin this kid was him walking away with puppy in hand, life threatening against the two officers isn't it?

Concerning his mother, what do you expect her to do, pull the thugs off her kid and risk being pinned down herself?

As for everything else..... In my personal experience, I cannot take a cop's word about anything these days as I've been on the receiving end of police misconduct. People who ask for the cop's story typically end up apologizing for them as a whole. And the "pig" comment is my personal opinion about rotten cops, not what you think of me.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ Understood. As far as the mother is concerned, she is simply calm. It seems odd. I don't expect her to be jumping on the cops, but it was just a calm situation, for her. That's the impression I got, it could be wrong.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
Look, this kind of stuff will always look ridiculous on a police report based on the legalese they have to use. And the press is too PC to call out what really happened. So two gang members, one with a pit pull puppy were displaying public aggression ("roughhousing"). Anyone who has ever witnessed what can happen next will understand that the police did the right thing here by checking things out. And instead of saying "yes, officers" and "no problem" the little punk acted up and got arrested - which he then resisted.

In the end there is nothing to see here other than watching the poor kid on his path to becoming a full fledged criminal and end up in jail after probably causing hopefully not too much damage while "roughhousing" and walking the hood with pit bulls.

And before somebody calls me a stupid racist: I'm actually sympathetic to these poor kids. They grow up with no role models and are actively marginalized by a system that is pretending to help them (schools, social workers, social security offices, local, state and federal government, you name it). But it's not the police officers fault in that sense. They just have to deal with the clean-up in the end. Or worse.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Look, this kind of stuff will always look ridiculous on a police report based on the legalese they have to use. And the press is too PC to call out what really happened. So two gang members, one with a pit pull puppy were displaying public aggression ("roughhousing"). Anyone who has ever witnessed what can happen next will understand that the police did the right thing here by checking things out. And instead of saying "yes, officers" and "no problem" the little punk acted up and got arrested - which he then resisted.

In the end there is nothing to see here other than watching the poor kid on his path to becoming a full fledged criminal and end up in jail after probably causing hopefully not too much damage while "roughhousing" and walking the hood with pit bulls.

And before somebody calls me a stupid racist: I'm actually sympathetic to these poor kids. They grow up with no role models and are actively marginalized by a system that is pretending to help them (schools, social workers, social security offices, local, state and federal government, you name it). But it's not the police officers fault in that sense. They just have to deal with the clean-up in the end. Or worse.
I won't call you anything. Your own words were enough to do that. I will only surmise you would rather it be 1952, in Birmingham. Good luck with that, cupcake.

Michael

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W

If they were not justified and the arresting officer had no probable cause to arrest. Then the teen had every right to resist arrest as it would be an unlawful order, at least under GA state law. I'm just assuming FL is similar.

I'm not sure what country you live in. Being wrongfully detained, arrested or otherwise harrased is NOT a defence for resisting arrest. And if you avoid being tazered, shot or beaten you will still be able to be charged with resisting or obstruction EVEN if the origional thing the police stopped you for was invalid.

Your best situation is to be polite, say nothing, don't consent to a search (but don't physically resist one) and let your lawyer argue if they had probable cause or otherwise breached your rights.

You can never win an argument on the street with a cop whose holding a weapon and pair of handcuffs.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'm not sure what country you live in. Being wrongfully detained, arrested or otherwise harrased is NOT a defence for resisting arrest. And if you avoid being tazered, shot or beaten you will still be able to be charged with resisting or obstruction EVEN if the origional thing the police stopped you for was invalid.

Your best situation is to be polite, say nothing, don't consent to a search (but don't physically resist one) and let your lawyer argue if they had probable cause or otherwise breached your rights.

You can never win an argument on the street with a cop whose holding a weapon and pair of handcuffs.

In the United States in the State of Georgia. It is legal. If the officer does not have probable cause to arrest. You have every right to defend yourself. The judge was very clear about that before we began deliberation.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
In the United States in the State of Georgia. It is legal. If the officer does not have probable cause to arrest. You have every right to defend yourself. The judge was very clear about that before we began deliberation.

It's actually legal in *most* states. It's just very rarely *mentioned* to anyone.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

This "country" would not exist if the folks who founded it thought like you.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.