Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

youtube.png
Bloomberg is reporting that YouTube has seen its mobile ad sales triple in the past six months, which is partly due to increased usage of its ad-enabled YouTube apps on both iOS and Android.

The company has seen a 42 percent increase in app usage from a year ago, with 70 million smartphone owners using the app in March the United States.
The recent growth in usage follows Apple Inc.'s decision last year to drop YouTube as a core application in the iOS software for iPhones and iPads, said Phil Farhi, director of product management at YouTube
Six months ago Google launched a native YouTube app months after we reported that Apple was set to remove the stock YouTube app with iOS 6. The stock app that had been included with iOS since 2007 did not include ads, but YouTube's new iOS app frequently features ads before videos are played.

Article Link: YouTube's Mobile Ad Sales Triple Soon After Debuting Ad-Enabled iOS App

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
This could also be due to YouTube restrictions with the Apple stock App or their web-only version - they couldn't put Ads by the videos & they weren't available on some platforms.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I like using the McTube app instead, as it allows you to listen to music in the background.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Just when will these advertisers realize that they are not going to gain any revenue by advertising with Google annoying the hell out of everyone?
I can't even watch a single video clip without getting an annoying ad that just blocks the subtitle.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Use Jasmine instead. No ads and i can watch HQ videos on mobile data instead of stupid auto throttling.

If you're gonna feed me ads at least let me decided what quality to watch it at. Idiots.

Last edited:

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
No surprise, it almost mandatory to watch those ads. Mandatory ads shows up meaning they earn money on other people's bandwidth and time. Collecting money on both ends of the process, money collect from people putting up the ad and people watching the ad.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Just when will these advertisers realize that they are not going to gain any revenue by advertising with Google annoying the hell out of everyone?
I can't even watch a single video clip without getting an annoying ad that just blocks the subtitle.

Well, this is very wrong.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I hate those start of video ads with a passion.

I'd rather pay a small fee to use YouTube every month than put up with their stupid ads. Maybe I need more patience.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

How do you look away when a Google Glass ad comes in front of you wearing your Google Glass?

I think Google has it all figured out. Resistance is futile.

yearofthe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Earth
I hate those start of video ads with a passion.

I'd rather pay a small fee to use YouTube every month than put up with their stupid ads. Maybe I need more patience.

I'm going to take a risk here. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this.
But they are some programs to stop ads on sites. If you do use it, make sure to "white list" sites you like such as MacRumors, 9to5mac etc.. so it won't be enabled when you're on their sites. The only time I use it is when a website cluster %#$^s the entire site with pop-ups & ads and those annoying 30-second unskippable ads on YouTube (15 second ones I can tolerate).

Internet Explorer users, which I'm sure they're nil here, are out of luck for such said software.

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
good for google's revenue although they don't split mobile ad revenue with partners (which is around half of any major channels monthly views).
I do like the app though

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
I understand why Apple dropped the native stock app but by doing so they have created an increased ad revenue for Google!

Wonder if the trade off is worth it?

I guess I wouldn't want a competitors product shipped integrated with my product either even if not doing so made them more $!

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I understand why Apple dropped the native stock app but by doing so they have created an increased ad revenue for Google!

I think the decision to stop bundling YouTube was mutual.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
That's why I keep my 4th gen iPod touch on iOS 4.3.5. :p On my iPhone 5, I use Jasmine since the official YouTube app doesn't do a good job.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'm going to take a risk here. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this.
But they are some programs to stop ads on sites. If you do use it, make sure to "white list" sites you like such as MacRumors, 9to5mac etc.. so it won't be enabled when you're on their sites. The only time I use it is when a website cluster %#$^s the entire site with pop-ups & ads and those annoying 30-second unskippable ads on YouTube (15 second ones I can tolerate).

Internet Explorer users, which I'm sure they're nil here, are out of luck for such said software.

Actually IE 9 & 10 effectively have adblockers implemented as 'tracking protection' under 'manage addons'.

Not that I'm trying to defend IE, but it has improved a good bit.

I'm not sure that it blocks youtube ads like the chrome adblocker does though.

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
That does it, I'm deleting that app. Why did I even install that thing in the first place if it makes the ads work? I already killed them with an axe on my computer... YouTube videos open in QuickTime Player to avoid ads and throttling, plus I can go to recent videos, save videos I want to keep, rip the audio whenever I want, trim, play in reverse and fast/slow motion, automatically get just the video without junk on the side, etc.

----------

Those retarded Toyota ads do not make me want to trust those people. I get low-quality, ear-piercing ads telling me that Prius technology can make a roller coaster POWER ITSELF. Screw you, laws of physics :p

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

I guess I wouldn't want a competitors product shipped integrated with my product either even if not doing so made them more $!

ya people have to sit through ads (which suck), but it makes youtube and the content creators more money. Also google pushes out a lot of updates constantly improving there apps

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Last I heard to access the Internet on your phones is not free. Stop this free bullcrap. Ads are just plain annoying.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A

You get annoyed, yet your brain still hears the ad and processes it.

I'm just thankful that AdBlock on Cydia works in the app :)

I also use my dd-wrt router to block ads for all devices by returning 0.0.0.0 for the IP when an ad is called. Any protocol, any port, always.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.