Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's WWDC keynote in San Francisco, California, Apple announced new 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Airs, which have been designed with battery life in mind. As expected, the new Airs use Haswell processors that offer enhanced performance and significantly improved battery life, but feature no cosmetic changes.

With the new Haswell processors, The 11" MacBook Air will now have nine hours of battery life while the 13" MacBook Air will have a stunning 12 hours of battery life.

macbookairs-800x447.jpg
In addition to Haswell processors, the new MacBooks feature 802.11ac compatibility, with support for the "Gigabit WiFi" 802.11ac specification. Gigabit WiFi offers speeds up to three times as fast as existing 802.11n wireless networks.

The 11" MacBook Air starts at $999 with a 128GB hard drive and the 13" MacBook Air with a 128GB hard drive starts at $1099. Apple's MacBook Airs are available today from Apple's Online Store and at retail locations.

Article Link: Apple Announces New MacBook Airs with Haswell Processors and 'All-Day' Battery Life

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
That battery life is making it very tempting to upgrade. If only I had the cash right now.

do you think there will be a BTO to upgrade the display to 1080p. This is very sad if it is still the old display resolutions. That is like so ancient by today's terms.

Bibbed

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I know these will be available in the online store today, but how soon do the physical Apple Stores usually have them in stock?

Chub

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2013
Please tell me the screen has been updated. The battery life is all well and good, but I want a better screen. Nothing makes me want to get this over a Windows Ultrabook now and I was really looking forward to something "better".

ApplNat

macrumors member
May 18, 2013
Nope. No better screen.

Marketing hype to call it the all new line of MacBook Airs.

Same Macbook Airs just with Haswell chip, which provides longer battery life.

Same body, same size screen, same everything else.

That said, I'm ready to purchase as I don't have a mac now and was waiting for the 2013 models to come out. And now they have. 13" is in my (near) future as soon as I can purchase one.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Very disappointed with such minor updates! :-(
Almost twice the battery life, almost twice the graphics power, and 802.11ac? I wouldn't call that necessarily minor. What were you expecting? Built-in coffee maker?

EDIT: For some reason I considered almost 50% being twice the graphics power; but nonetheless, quite the improvement! Especially compared to my Sandy Bridge GPU.

Last edited:

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
I'm still torn between 11" and 13"...

13" is so big if I'm mostly going to just use it on the couch...

Chub

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2013
Almost twice the battery life, almost twice the graphics power, and 802.11ac? I wouldn't call that necessarily minor. What were you expecting? Built-in coffee maker?

Twice the graphics power I don't think so and who is going to be using that 1GBps wireless connection anytime soon? I was truly looking forward to this and let's be honest it was a let down.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Naturally. And with a conical burr grinder included, as well, please.

In any case, I am looking at the MBAs closely; I have one, and, while it is easily the best computer I have ever owned, I admit to viewing what is currently being unveiled with interest.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
Why the f... so many years have passed and apple does not upgrade Time Machine/airport to full router/modem.... why????? :mad:

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I know these will be available in the online store today, but how soon do the physical Apple Stores usually have them in stock?

I just got off the phone with our local Apple Store. They said they had no idea about new MacBook Airs. They told me if its available to purchase online To just go ahead and order it from there. I think they're just saying that because they don't know that the new MacBook Airs have been announced on the keynote already.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Oh well. Was really hoping to upgrade my MBA this year but for battery life alone, I just can't justify it. I wasn't expecting retina but was hoping for some type of resolution bump. Looks like I'll be getting a rMBP whenever it gets Haswell.

NoSmd

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
So does that mean there will be no new macbook pro retina because they are finished with all of the hardware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.