Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madizm83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2013
I couldn't wait to share with you guys....Finally,"VPLAYER" can resume playing the video even if you put it to the background. It support DLNA and others...Also, you can transfer your movies to your device. besides, it supports many gestures for brightness, volume, seek..etc. Right now, I'm using it to airplay the video to my apple tv 3 (you shud use Hardware encoding instead of software encoding to airplay) while having the app in the background, so i can use my phone while being able to use it in doing other stuff.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I couldn't wait to share with you guys....Finally,"VPLAYER" can resume playing the video even if you put it to the background. It support DLNA and others...Also, you can transfer your movies to your device. besides, it supports many gestures for brightness, volume, seek..etc. Right now, I'm using it to airplay the video to my apple tv 3 (you shud use Hardware encoding instead of software encoding to airplay) while having the app in the background, so i can use my phone while being able to use it in doing other stuff.

Note that if you jailbreak and purchase Background Manager (iOS6+) or, under iOS5, use Backgrounder (free) or Quasar ($10), you can output video to your ATV from any player with TV output capabilities, not only VPlayer. (BTW, I don't really recommend VPlayer as a generic player. There are MUCH better players around for much cheaper.)

I've also explained this in my latest posts on Background Manager in the Hacks forum here.

madizm83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2013
First, thanks for your reply, i appreciate.
i can assure you that background manager is not as the its name suggest. i review that tweak 10 days ago and it's for keeping apps running in the background for faster lunch to not get bothered by waiting for the app to load all the time. i wish if it did the same as Backgrounder for ios 5, but it doesn't. I'm talking about airplaying a video to apple tv while u can press the home button to exit from it and the airplay will be still working.
Concerning quasar tweak (a great tweak) but not been upgraded to ios 6. in my case , i have ios 6.1.1 and i even tried to change the plist file system for some apps to the stay playing even i exit but no luck. I mentioned Vplayer because is the only one you can exit from it while air-playing or playing a video and it will stay running in the background. this is useful for me because i want to use my phone while i'm air-playing a movie for example. Wish if there is a specific tweak for that, but it's not out yet. If you know any other app that can do this or any tweak that can force the possibility to still play while pushed to the background, please let me know.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
First, which VPlayer are you speaking of? The Cydia-based, free one (at version 0.1.1), or, the AppStore-based non-Lite version costing $4.99? (The free AppStore-based Lite version doesn't support any kind of BG playback.)

The former (the Cydia-based one) does support BG playback to an ATV after enabling it in Video Player > Background Playback. Did you use it or the paid-for AppStore version? I havent tested the latter as yet. I've mailed the devs some questions on 13/January 8:48AM GMT for my review but they haven't answered.

Note that neither the Cydia nor the AppStore version support native wired TV out at all.

First, thanks for your reply, i appreciate.
i can assure you that background manager is not as the its name suggest. i review that tweak 10 days ago and it's for keeping apps running in the background for faster lunch to not get bothered by waiting for the app to load all the time. i wish if it did the same as Backgrounder for ios 5, but it doesn't.

It does. You just haven't enabled Forced mode in it. It, by default, does NOT use forced mode. You must explicitly enable it as has also been pointed out in the dedicated section of my Keynote article ( https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17321186 ) and also other, regular forum posts at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1586831/

I'm talking about airplaying a video to apple tv while u can press the home button to exit from it and the airplay will be still working.

With the latest version, 0.9-16, (I've just tested), both GoodPlayer and nPlayer play back videos when minimized over both wireless AirPlay and a wired HDMI connection, with the HDMI adapter, assuming you use Forced mode with both. If you don't (that is, you leave them in the native background mode), both AirPlay and wired playback will immediately be paused (former) / terminated (latter) as soon as you background these apps.

Again, BM works just fine.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
If you don't (that is, you leave them in the native background mode), both AirPlay and wired playback will immediately be paused (former) / terminated (latter) as soon as you background these apps.

By the way, if you explicitly enable background playback in these two (GoodPlayer, nPlayer) apps (it's disabled by default) on even a non-JB'n device, they will play back iOS-native files over AirPlay if and only if you don't enable AirPlay mirroring. (If you do, the ATV will switch back to mirroring as soon as you press the Home button.)

This doesn't apply to wired playback, not even via cables (composite / component) that, otherwise, aren't capable of mirroring.

All in all, if you don't use JB tweaks and stick with non-mirrored AirPlay playback, you can use other background playback-capable players than vPlayer. This should be the preferred way, as particularly nPlayer is orders of magnitude better than vPlayer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.