Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Hi Forum,

So that Roger guy confirmed that a new version of iWork will be coming later this year. What kind of features would you like to see in this new version?

Personally, I'd like some grammar correction since English isn't my native language but I use it my study.

travod

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
I know at least in my iWork '09 there's no autosave, which has led to many nightmare situations in which certain five page papers have disappeared...

Another thing in mine is that I can't place pictures or tables wherever I want them, because they just end up defaulting to like top left or something.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
A much improved autofilter in Numbers. One that I can just click on a button and see a list of unique column entries and select an entry to filter the the database. Do that...and I dump Excel.

teejaysplace

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
I know at least in my iWork '09 there's no autosave, which has led to many nightmare situations in which certain five page papers have disappeared...

Another thing in mine is that I can't place pictures or tables wherever I want them, because they just end up defaulting to like top left or something.

Dude, seriously? Autosave didn't exist when I was in college and I never lost a single paper. It's ⌘+S, bud.

mfvisuals

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
SacTown, CA

Autosave was introduced in OS X Lion 10.7.

Update your OS.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

For many years I used word processors that had no autosave and never lost more than a paragraph or two. Don't blame the software

----------

Dude, seriously? Autosave didn't exist when I was in college and I never lost a single paper. It's ⌘+S, bud.

All I had was a typewriter, but I never lost a single paper either.

travod

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
I'm not blaming the software. I'm blaming myself because I dare to write papers without plugging my laptop in. I never quite know when it's going to shut down - sometimes it goes off at 20% and others it can stay on 0% for a while.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Hi Forum,

So that Roger guy confirmed that a new version of iWork will be coming later this year. What kind of features would you like to see in this new version?

Personally, I'd like some grammar correction since English isn't my native language but I use it my study.

I teach freshman comp as well as various ESL related courses. As far as I can tell there has never been useful grammar correction in any word processing application, it tends to cause total confusion. I have had more arguments than I can count with students who swear they have done the right thing by allowing the application (usually Word) to auto correct their grammar, usually leaving a totally incomprehensible sentence!

I'm interested to see what Apple does this fall as well. I have office on my aging macbook, but I'll be getting a new mac soon and I'm kind of thinking I'll start fresh with iWork instead of Office.

It'll be interesting to see if iWork is a paid upgrade for existing MAS iWork users. I think it'll also be interesting to see how Apple implements iWork in the Cloud (free with purchase? recurring fee?)

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
It'll be interesting to see if iWork is a paid upgrade for existing MAS iWork users. I think it'll also be interesting to see how Apple implements iWork in the Cloud (free with purchase? recurring fee?)

Thats exactly what I was wondering as well. I would like to think that it should be a free upgrade, however they could do the same thing what they do with OS X and offer a paid version instead. This will also give us a good indication as to whether future versions of iLife will be paid upgrades or not.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Thats exactly what I was wondering as well. I would like to think that it should be a free upgrade, however they could do the same thing what they do with OS X and offer a paid version instead. This will also give us a good indication as to whether future versions of iLife will be paid upgrades or not.
It's a tough call about whether they will charge for iLife upgrades. On one hand, it comes with every new Mac. On the other hand, It's time to pay for both an OS and iLife upgrade, maybe it's time to buy a new computer anyway and get that as part of the new computer.

I suspect iWork will be charged for. right now some people have the current version originally installed from DVD and some from the App Store.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area

You must be using Pages. Either switch to the Layout template which lets you place images and graphics anywhere or us the inspector and select floating instead of in-line for those objects.

I'd like to see a lot of improvements.

Keynote
A timeline like in GB for accurate alignment of animations and soundtracks.

Some sort of layering to make it easier to deal with complex slides. I want to turn layers on and off during editing and rearrange their display hierarchy.

I'd like to pull down a light table providing quick access to a page of pre made slides and stacks of slides that I use often. When I make a presentation I have some new material but also would like to re-use sequences that convey specific information. This would really speed up the assembly of a keynote.

A reliable peer-to-peer remote control on my iPhone or iPad for driving Keynote on a Mac.

Pages
Not sure of the name, I'd like to see a linkage between something like Figure 1 in the text and the actual figure. In a large document that becomes hard to track.

Master pages like in Keynote.

Pages for the iPad should gain the Layout mode available on the Mac.

Auto paging should work in layout mode.

Numbers
Charting should accommodate larger sets of numbers. Currently it chokes if you try to plot a spectrum with 1024 values or more.

kal101

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
"Save As..." is still in the menubar.

Go to the "File" menu (as you normally would) and press the "Option" key.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Numbers need to be faster. It is slower than a tortouise. I mailed Apple about it a year ago, and they wrote me back stating that they knew about it and were working on it, fortunately.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Go to the "File" menu (as you normally would) and press the "Option" key."

Nope.

What version of the OS, and what version of Pages are you using?

I'm using OS 10.8.4, Pages '09 version 4.3 (1048), on a 2012 Mac Mini.

"Save" menu (no option key pressed) gives me:
Close
Save
Revert To Saved…
Export >

Choosing from the "Save" menu WITH the option key pressed gives me:
Close All
Save
Revert To Saved…
Export >

I also have iWork installed on an older iMac (2007, white Intel) running OS 10.6.8. On that setup, Pages DOES give me a "Save As" option.

But NOT on the most modern Mac running the most recent version of the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.