Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Can we expect both the mini and full size to take up this chip? With all the issues about poor wifi from the mini in particular, is it fair to assume we'll see an update?

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I don't see why not. With all the big deal they made of ac versus n/g at the WWDC keynote it would be a dumb move for Apple not to include it in both models. I don't think Apple is into shooting themselves in the foot, at least not yet.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I don't see why not. With all the big deal they made of ac versus n/g at the WWDC keynote it would be a dumb move for Apple not to include it in both models. I don't think Apple is into shooting themselves in the foot, at least not yet.

Actually, it makes little sense to have AC in the iPads. It's really designed for home networking systems where you do large transfers between computers. I can't wait for that since I do such things between my Mac computers. For my iPad/iPhone? No interest.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Actually, it makes little sense to have AC in the iPads.
Actually it makes a lot of sense. There's extra overhead if you have a mix of 802.11b/g/n/ac devices on the same network.

Also, it's a checkbox on technical specs that consumers look at. "Oh, it's got the latest."

And finally, I don't think there is a real cost difference to Apple to include 802.11ac in the iOS devices, so why not?

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
it is a cool feature to have when i get a new Ipad, as I heard the AC standard increase the distances of wi fi coverage in a home. But I doubt i will be using the feature anytime soon, as my network providers router is the N standard and so is my time-capsule. Maybe when all my my devices use the AC standard I might make the switch for now I'am happy with the N standard.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Actually it makes a lot of sense. There's extra overhead if you have a mix of 802.11b/g/n/ac devices on the same network.

Also, it's a checkbox on technical specs that consumers look at. "Oh, it's got the latest."

And finally, I don't think there is a real cost difference to Apple to include 802.11ac in the iOS devices, so why not?

Is there any extra overhead? Currently I use my iPhone 5 on the 2.4Ghz G network, and my iMac and Mac mini on the 5Ghz N network. Two separate SSIDs (on most modern routers, including the Time Capsule). There's no additional overhead since that's two separate bands.

I use my iPhone 5 on 2.4Ghz G because quite frankly the antenna isn't strong enough to maintain a good signal/connection to the 5Ghz N band (in my house at least) so I gave up. My iMac and Mac mini have much stronger antennas so no issue there over N. Remember, 5Ghz N has much less range than 2.4Ghz B/G.

So, I'm going to guess leaving my iPhone 5 not connected to AC won't have any effect on overhead when other devices ARE connected to AC.

Potentially with the beamforming of AC, it might be possible to give the iPhone/iPad a better signal, but I wonder at what cost to battery life it will come at? It's certainly not critical in my eyes, for the iOS devices to get AC. But I'd love to be proven wrong. :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Actually, it makes little sense to have AC in the iPads. It's really designed for home networking systems where you do large transfers between computers.

So people don't use iPads at home?

Now you are thinking single-thread, single user, what if Mr. Smith family of 10 are trying to use the WIFI simultaneously?

Anywhoo, need it or not, the tech-world is "My stuff is faster than your stuff" so Apple will be pressured to put AC on their stuff because the competitors have them. That's just the order of things. :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So people don't use iPads at home?

Now you are thinking single-thread, single user, what if Mr. Smith family of 10 are trying to use the WIFI simultaneously?

Anywhoo, need it or not, the tech-world is "My stuff is faster than your stuff" so Apple will be pressured to put AC on their stuff because the competitors have them. That's just the order of things. :)

Of course people use iPads at home. But I don't really see the use case for AC for iPhones or iPads. I'm sure someday they will get AC. Just not anytime soon I'd imagine. I use many devices over 2.4Ghz and never have an issue. Numerous wifi printers, two iPads, two iPhones, XBOX, 360, Wii U, Wii, 3DS, Vita etc. Often at least 6-10 devices are connected simultaneously. I also live in a busy city with a lot of wifi signals (downtown Seattle). No issues.

Of course that can vary from person to person.

Again, AC is not designed with iPads/iPhones in mind. Home networking/file sharing is its main purpose. Unless synching with iTunes at blistering speeds is important. :)

Apple Fan 21

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
Still rocking my iPad 2, waiting for AC in the mini. Now I'm also waiting for the finger print scanner now. Loving in on my 5S. So will we finally see these features on the iPads in 2014???

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I would think just the possibility of extending the range would make people happy to have AC.

Personally every place I go and people I know they have very thick walls and the wifi range is severely limited so this would be helpful

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Can we expect both the mini and full size to take up this chip? With all the issues about poor wifi from the mini in particular, is it fair to assume we'll see an update?

What are all of the issues w/ poor wifi in the mini that you are referring to? I have the rMini and have never had an issue.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Using the speediest app my rMini gets over 80mbps from the router above (Airport Extreme, 5GHz N). If I stand near the router, it's over 100. I don't really see how a tablet would need more than that!

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
The .ac chips aren't mature yet, good thing they weren't on the Air this year. The MBA forums are full of complaints with .ac issues (Broadcom was the supplier this year, wouldn't be surprised to see them lose their contract next year).

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Using the speediest app my rMini gets over 80mbps from the router above (Airport Extreme, 5GHz N). If I stand near the router, it's over 100. I don't really see how a tablet would need more than that!

I feel that way about 3G vs LTE. 1 MB/s seems to be more than adequate for the things I can download anyway.

PS. This thread is old enough that the original posters might not be back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.