Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Has anyone done this while on ios7? If so what was the result? What did it restore to?

Thanks

Last edited:

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
My previous comment was not in regards to iOS 7. I was referring to a time last year, when I wiped my 4s clean.

Edited to add: I am not aware of anyone using that method to downgrade from iOS 7. If that is what you are thinking about, proceed with caution.

Thanks- I updated the question to clarify that I was looking for results when on ios 7.

YeahBuddy

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Boston, MA
I did a clean reinstall on iOS 7 today. When I went to restore to iOS 6, iTunes wouldn't let me because Find My iPhone was turned on. When I went to turn off Find My iPhone I had to enter in my Apple ID. This probably has to do with the new Activation Lock feature and I was happy to see it.

But other than that, restoring to iOS 6 and reinstalling iOS 7 was a snap.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Has anyone done this while on ios7? If so what was the result? What did it restore to?

Thanks

It restores to iOS7.
It's just like a brand new phone where you have to activate and setup your iTunes account.
If your UDID is not registered for beta testing you won't get past the activation and you'll have to revert to iOS6 via DFU mode.

Brendada

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
+Do a DFU recovery:+

+1. Open iTunes.+
+2. Connect the iPhone+
+3 Press both the home and sleep/wake buttons until the Apple icon appears (ignore the red slider if it shows).+
+4. Continue pressing the home button alone until iTunes sees your phone in recovery mode.+
+5. Follow the prompts to restore the iPhone.+

This is step by step guide on how to erase data from iPhone before selling.

Last edited:

gutierezz

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
It will be back to factory state when you got a new device. All data are deleted and only built-in apps are there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.