Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoundChaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Idaho
I just got a new MacBook Air, and it is completely DOA. Will not power on whatsoever, all troubleshooting failed, tried every possible key combo and all with applecare. All it does is give 3 beeps, pauses, 3 beeps, and that just goes on indefinitely. Anyone else have this issue?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I just got a new MacBook Air, and it is completely DOA. Will not power on whatsoever, all troubleshooting failed, tried every possible key combo and all with applecare. All it does is give 3 beeps, pauses, 3 beeps, and that just goes on indefinitely. Anyone else have this issue?

I don't really understand your question.:confused:

Few will have anything to suggest because, as you should, I'm quite sure they just returned the DOA MBA and received another one.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

The three beeps of death points to bad RAM. Normally, this issue would be solved by replacing the RAM modules, but they're soldered on to the MBA logic board. So, the only recourse is to go back to the Apple store. It's their problem, only they can fix it.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
You should take it back and get an exchange. Should this ever happen to you again, don't even attempt troubleshooting. It's not worth the time or aggravation.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It sounds like you should exchange it since it's new.

SoundChaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Idaho
Well, I was just posting the question to see if this is a common thing with the new models and if other people were having similar issues. I knew right away that it was the ram, and that no real troubleshooting could be done since it wouldn't even give the classic mac bootup sound. It appears as if I'm almost completely alone in this issue though... It was traumatizing to hear nothing but those beeps the first time i opened the lid...

Anyway, rather than getting a replacement, I got a full refund from apple, and ordered it off MacMall with 2 day shipping since I needed it ASAP and would be on vacation long before apple reshipped it, due to custom 1.7/8gb/128gb order. Also, even though I had a student discount through the apple store, it still came out $10 cheaper through MacMall ;)

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Well, I was just posting the question to see if this is a common thing with the new models and if other people were having similar issues. I knew right away that it was the ram, and that no real troubleshooting could be done since it wouldn't even give the classic mac bootup sound. It appears as if I'm almost completely alone in this issue though... It was traumatizing to hear nothing but those beeps the first time i opened the lid...

Anyway, rather than getting a replacement, I got a full refund from apple, and ordered it off MacMall with 2 day shipping since I needed it ASAP and would be on vacation long before apple reshipped it, due to custom 1.7/8gb/128gb order. Also, even though I had a student discount through the apple store, it still came out $10 cheaper through MacMall ;)

Nicely done, least now you can order some bacon.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Well, I was just posting the question to see if this is a common thing with the new models and if other people were having similar issues.

So you wanted to see if it was common to get a dead computer right out of the box? Seriously??

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Well, I was just posting the question to see if this is a common thing with the new models and if other people were having similar issues.

A completely dead Mac out of the box is really rare, and trust me, if this had been common the press would've been all over it ("NEW MACS DOA! IS APPLE DOOMED???"). more likely than not the RAM was poorly soldered onto the board, and it worked briefly for testing but finally broke while in transit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.