Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Curious how many of you wedding video professionals use the current Mac Pro?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I think you would get a conflicting answer to your question. It all depends on what computer and software one has got. Many I know use SONY VEGAS. I use my Mac.
If your computer those what you want regards your question, then it would be interesting to see how many replies you get.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Curious how many of you wedding video professionals use the current Mac Pro?

I'm rocking out a 2008 8-Core MacPro with 18GB of Ram, standard video card with a custom internal Bluray burner. Bounce back and forth with Final Cut Studio 3 with FCP7 and Adobe Creative Suite 6.

Now that I'm using DSLR cameras, I'm leaning towards CS6 with the hopes FCPX gets a major overhaul someday to win me back.

As far as Hard Drive space? All 4 bays are filled with 1TB and all my projects are backed up onto 3 separate drives for safety.

Oh and that 2008 MacPro still has some insane power.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Bring my 2009 4,1 and Dell 2408wfp to receptions to edit the same day edit. I also edit and author final packages. Started out with FCP7 but have been using Premiere CS6 for the past year and a half(have since moved to CC). Output my timeline to the projector via the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card.

8x3.33 GHZ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 570 2.5GB, 3TB Highpoint Rocketcache, 512GB SSD OS drive.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Bring my 2009 4,1 and Dell 2408wfp to receptions to edit the same day edit. I also edit and author final packages. Started out with FCP7 but have been using Premiere CS6 for the past year and a half(have since moved to CC). Output my timeline to the projector via the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card.

8x3.33 GHZ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 570 2.5GB, 3TB Highpoint Rocketcache, 512GB SSD OS drive.

Please tell me the package you offer is at least $10,000 for that?

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Please tell me the package you offer is at least $10,000 for that?

Haha, I wish; Sure it's not as convenient to transport as a MBP, but I know I have peace of mind that I can throw just about anything at it(Canon DSLR, GH2/GH3, GoPro, XDCAM, etc.) and be able to have seamless playback when it truly matters.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Haha, I wish; Sure it's not as convenient to transport as a MBP, but I know I have peace of mind that I can throw just about anything at it(Canon DSLR, GH2/GH3, GoPro, XDCAM, etc.) and be able to have seamless playback when it truly matters.

All I'm saying is that if you're a professional, you should be charging that much for that amount of work on the spot. My packages start at $2,800 and climb up to $8,500. What you listed there, people in New England would drop a crazy amount for it.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
All I'm saying is that if you're a professional, you should be charging that much for that amount of work on the spot. My packages start at $2,800 and climb up to $8,500. What you listed there, people in New England would drop a crazy amount for it.

I think we have differing interpretations of what a same day edit is. I'm editing a highlight of the day to be shown at the reception. You'd be hard pressed to find many couples willing to drop $10k for a same day edit, no matter the market.

I'm an independent contractor(my full time job is a State Government position) so I'm not running my own business; I pick and choose what projects I take on depending on my schedule and while I know a MacBook Pro could do the job, I prefer to use my Mac Pro on site.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
I think we have differing interpretations of what a same day edit is. I'm editing a highlight of the day to be shown at the reception. You'd be hard pressed to find many couples willing to drop $10k for a same day edit, no matter the market.

I'm an independent contractor(my full time job is a State Government position) so I'm not running my own business; I pick and choose what projects I take on depending on my schedule and while I know a MacBook Pro could do the job, I prefer to use my Mac Pro on site.

Ahhhhh. Figured you were slaving over editing the entire ceremony and reception on the fly. I'd charge 3-5k depending on certain circumstances for a recap of the day on the fly.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia

Given the new MacPro is about 1/8 the size of the old one, you could stick it in a backpack to take to jobs :D

I'm sure we'll be seeing padded bags for it that make it look like a sleeping bag. Now we just need roll up monitors...

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Ahhhhh. Figured you were slaving over editing the entire ceremony and reception on the fly. I'd charge 3-5k depending on certain circumstances for a recap of the day on the fly.

Haha there's just no time; Best case scenario I've got 3-4 hours to pour over several hours of media split amongst several cards(this used to be such a pain in the ass with HDV) and construct an edit to 1-2 songs chosen by the couple.

Worst case scenario, I've got 1-2 hours and that's on top of whatever intro I've already constructed the day before. And the sick thing is I don't know what kind of scenario it's going to be until I'm knee deep in it. Sometimes there's barely anything on the schedule and my highlight IS the "entertainment". We try to push the showing till the very end before the Electric Slide kicks off, but sometimes those speeches that you hope will go for 30minutes or so, end up covering up only 3 minutes, and you're only halfway through with only the cake cutting standing between you and showtime.

Factor in time to setup and to test my connection to a projector that's not mine, as well as to a DJ who may or may not be able to accept an audio output from you or may only have legacy connections such as RCA(fortunately I pack for every possible option they might have).

It can be incredibly stressful but equally rewarding, especially when you've got family and friends coming up to you after the reception's over to thank you and to ask for a business card. I don't book the weddings but refer any inquiries to my employer(some close friends I've met along the way).

If you're good and can command that type of rate of $3k-5K for a 3-8min(approx) edit(no shooting involved), more power to you, but here in Hawaii, that's not going to get a lot of takers unless you're an A.C.E member with many titles to your credit, of which point you've either fallen on some really hard times, or just doing it for family or friend.

The advent of vDSLRs really has introduced an influx of wedding production companies for good and bad. Lower cost of entry is definitely a plus, along with the image quality and shallow DOF with quality interchangeable glass. However, now the market is so saturated(at least here in Hawaii), and the wedding industry, is not immune to the effects of a bad economy. If couples have to cut somewhere in their wedding budget and have to make a decision between photography and videography, I'd wager to say most would axe video and opt for photos only. It's usually cheaper(although photography can be just as expensive if not more than video), and the couple can easily disseminate photos to family and friends, whereas the final edit, will usually only be seen by them and a few family members.

Enough of my ramblings. I wish I could collect that kind of coin but it'd be for a very narrow market someone would be willing to pay that rate.

As for the new Mac Pro, it's diminutive size definitely is a plus in my book.

Last edited:

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Haha there's just no time; Best case scenario I've got 3-4 hours to pour over several hours of media split amongst several cards(this used to be such a pain in the ass with HDV) and construct an edit to 1-2 songs chosen by the couple.

Worst case scenario, I've got 1-2 hours and that's on top of whatever intro I've already constructed the day before. And the sick thing is I don't know what kind of scenario it's going to be until I'm knee deep in it. Sometimes there's barely anything on the schedule and my highlight IS the "entertainment". We try to push the showing till the very end before the Electric Slide kicks off, but sometimes those speeches that you hope will go for 30minutes or so, end up covering up only 3 minutes, and you're only halfway through with only the cake cutting standing between you and showtime.

Factor in time to setup and to test my connection to a projector that's not mine, as well as to a DJ who may or may not be able to accept an audio output from you or may only have legacy connections such as RCA(fortunately I pack for every possible option they might have).

It can be incredibly stressful but equally rewarding, especially when you've got family and friends coming up to you after the reception's over to thank you and to ask for a business card. I don't book the weddings but refer any inquiries to my employer(some close friends I've met along the way).

If you're good and can command that type of rate of $3k-5K for a 3-8min(approx) edit(no shooting involved), more power to you, but here in Hawaii, that's not going to get a lot of takers unless you're an A.C.E member with many titles to your credit, of which point you've either fallen on some really hard times, or just doing it for family or friend.

The advent of vDSLRs really has introduced an influx of wedding production companies for good and bad. Lower cost of entry is definitely a plus, along with the image quality and shallow DOF with quality interchangeable glass. However, now the market is so saturated(at least here in Hawaii), and the wedding industry, is not immune to the effects of a bad economy. If couples have to cut somewhere in their wedding budget and have to make a decision between photography and videography, I'd wager to say most would axe video and opt for photos only. It's usually cheaper(although photography can be just as expensive if not more than video), and the couple can easily disseminate photos to family and friends, whereas the final edit, will usually only be seen by them and a few family members.

Enough of my ramblings. I wish I could collect that kind of coin but it'd be for a very narrow market someone would be willing to pay that rate.

As for the new Mac Pro, it's diminutive size definitely is a plus in my book.

Agreed. You're like the Hawaiian me. Haha. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.