Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Howdy all,

I searched for this, but, found nothing to assist, so apologies if this is posted elsewhere already.

Can you play random tracks from a particular "Genre"? I can on my iMac, but not from my iPhone 5.

Would I need to add all the tracks to a Playlist to accomplish this?

ggarnold

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
If you sync to a desktop computer, you can create a "smart playlist" in the desktop iTunes app. Smart Playlists can automatically include songs by all sorts of info such as genre, rating, artist etc. Sync your playlist to your iOS device and shuffle away.

Don't know of a way to do this in iOS only. Weird that the Music app provides a "Genres" section but no shuffle feature.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
If you sync to a desktop computer, you can create a "smart playlist" in the desktop iTunes app. Smart Playlists can automatically include songs by all sorts of info such as genre, rating, artist etc. Sync your playlist to your iOS device and shuffle away.

Don't know of a way to do this in iOS only. Weird that the Music app provides a "Genres" section but no shuffle feature.

Thanks heaps for that! I've (obviously) never used a Smart Playlist before. :rolleyes:

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
in iOS 6 simply navigating over to genre, selecting one, then selecting play all was all you had to do. You could even shuffle the playlist. That has disappeared. Why? I have the slightest, but it makes no sense not to include that. I hope it comes back in the subsequent beta releases.

FrankieG889D

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah in iOS6 you could shuffle the genre. I'm downloading iOS7 Beta 2 now, i guess it't not fixed yet but I'm sure it'll come back sooner or later.

ijuscrushalot

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Play random tracks from a Genre in iOS 7 iTunes? Reply to Thread

I play music by genre and was disappointed to find this was not an option on ios7. Unless you ask siri. Siri will shuffle the music in a specific genre if you ask. I'm happy again. Hope this helps.

frankispissed

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
how could Apple take off an important feature ??

Boy I'm pissed. I used to shuffle songs in a genre, or album, etc... Now this functionality is GONE ???

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Boy I'm pissed. I used to shuffle songs in a genre, or album, etc... Now this functionality is GONE ???

Yeah, I'm missing this, too.

And asking Siri to fill the gap is a bogus workaround, if you happen to be one of the few who doesn't care to talk to their phone in the coffee shop.

Hmmm, is there any way to text Siri? "OMG pls shfl jazz - thx! :)"

frankispissed

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
that's right... How do I shuffle speaking out loud at the office "play all genre rock and Marilyn manson" without being fired ?? :mad:

cliveP

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
I was having this same problem and I don't even have Siri. But I found a solution.

Go into Songs, pull down the search bar and enter the Genre you want. Scroll down the search results until you reach the Genre entry. Selecting that takes you to a list of all the songs in the Genre.

Pull down again and a Shuffle option is revealed above the song list. Select that and it will shuffle all the songs in the Genre.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 434

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I was having this same problem and I don't even have Siri. But I found a solution.

Well done!

It's hard to imagine this is how Apple intended to implement this function, but it's certainly better than nothing.

Thanks for sharing!

sandwicher

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah funny they removed this feature in iOS 7!

Some developer kindly log this to Apple? Also the music app has another bug.

If the song title is too long in the "Now playing" screen, it gets cut off at the end, and doesn't "scroll" like it did in iOS 6.

Was kind of shocked to see that bug.:eek:

frankispissed

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Thanks for finding the solution for apple-****ed-a-key-functionality "shuffle by genre".
That works, but why in hell did Apple removed this feature ??
:confused:

the-dreadnaut

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
Late to the Party But Shuffle is still there...

So yeah the shuffle feature that was available in iOS 6 missing was ticking me off too but I did finally find it...

Go to Songs and play and random song, then at the bottom you see Repeat, Create, Shuffle All. Click Shuffle All and this will start shuffling your music to random songs in your iTunes library on your :apple: phone.

Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.