Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iMoverBerlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Hello all,

I have so many duplicate music files on a hard drive of mine and I was wondering if someone knows a good, preferably free software I could use to find the duplicate files and delete them.

I am using a MacBookPro running OS 10.8.4. I have my music files backed up on 1 terabyte removable hard drive. I'm not using Time Machine, by the way.

Thanks, all!:apple:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I'm not sure what software to use, but I do have 2 important suggestions:
  1. Make sure you have a complete backup of your system before you start removing duplicate files.
  2. Make sure you only scan user files for duplicates.

iMoverBerlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

What's the difference between user files and other files?

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

What's the difference between user files and other files?

You get user files mostly the ones you create - music/films etc..
And get system files that the system needs to run correct the OSX or applications and without these files can cause problems. Therefore if you run through the system files it could delete files that your system really needs to stay stable :)

iMoverBerlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
And get system files that the system needs to run correct the OSX or applications and without these files can cause problems. Therefore if you run through the system files it could delete files that your system really needs to stay stable :)

OK. I thought as much. Yeah, I would only be scanning files I have on a removable hard drive; all music files.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Yeah I know. Sure seems worth it to me!

:D

Are you happy/satisfied with the software?

I had to buy a new External Drive for Time Machine (old drive had a power failure) and noticed my 1TB Internal HDD was almost at capacity.

I tried doing a size search but other than some newly imported movies, it seems the majority is the mass of smaller files (like Music and Photos) that I have been importing.

Trying to find a decent application to find dupes...and possibly delete the=m.

THANKS!

kumquat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
I have Gemini (bought it as part of a bundle) and it didn't work at all and the developers never responded to my email. Is there another option?

leviniki12

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2014
duplicate files

And get system files that the system needs to run correct the OSX or applications and without these duplicate files can cause problems. Therefore if you run through the system files it could delete files that your system really needs to stay stable :)
Thats True

zamanbd80

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2015
Bangladesh
program to delete duplicate files

If I move a file from one folder to another, iDrive will recognize the moved file as a new file because it is in a different directory. Is there a way to delete the old file automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.