Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rediffusion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Fairfield, CT
Now that GoogleReader is gone I need a free OSX mac RSS reader that can sync with an online equivalent to GoogleReader. I hear that AOL RSS reader and Feedly are available but can't find a free app that works with them. I have been using NetNewsWire for the last few years but it ONLY syncs with Google Reader :(

thanks
R ;)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I know this doesn't help you right now, but Vienna is working on syncing with a couple of different services and should have it available soon. Have you checked with NetNewsWire as for what their plans are?

rediffusion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I know this doesn't help you right now, but Vienna is working on syncing with a couple of different services and should have it available soon. Have you checked with NetNewsWire as for what their plans are?

Well at least that's something. Here's my conversation with NetNewsWire from this morning:

Me: how can I sync my feeds on different computers using version 4 of NNW?
NetNewsWire: Version 4 doesn't have sync yet. You can find out more detail about the beta here: http://blackpixel.com/blog/2013/06/netnewswire-4-open-beta.html
Me: Thanks. When will syncing be an available? Weeks, months, years? I want to buy the full version but can't wait indefinitely.
NetNewsWire: No timeline to share, sorry.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Well at least that's something. Here's my conversation with NetNewsWire from this morning:

Me: how can I sync my feeds on different computers using version 4 of NNW?
NetNewsWire: Version 4 doesn't have sync yet. You can find out more detail about the beta here: http://blackpixel.com/blog/2013/06/netnewswire-4-open-beta.html
Me: Thanks. When will syncing be an available? Weeks, months, years? I want to buy the full version but can't wait indefinitely.
NetNewsWire: No timeline to share, sorry.
NetNewsWire is dead in the water on this. Unfortunately, they're way too late to be trying to put together their own sync service.
As for your question, I'm using ReadKit and had been using the ancient NewsRack. ReadKit isn't free but it is only $5 and seems to work reasonably well with Feedbin. Not perfect, but it's functional. Free isn't an option in desktop RSS readers that sync at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.