Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Back when I was going through college I used to play Age of Empires I and II, I think Diablo II for a bit, and The Sims. I'm sure I played a few others but that's all I can think of.

Here I am, about 10 years later and looking for something to do. AoE III is way too expensive, All Diablos won't run on my Mac, and I'm not sure if The Sims 3 will either.

Any suggestions on games that would maybe fit what I like? I've have Lego Indiana Jones, and that's pretty fun, but anything else?

Eh, I should probably be paying off my student loan anyway. :(

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Back when I was going through college I used to play Age of Empires I and II, I think Diablo II for a bit, and The Sims. I'm sure I played a few others but that's all I can think of.

Here I am, about 10 years later and looking for something to do. AoE III is way too expensive, All Diablos won't run on my Mac, and I'm not sure if The Sims 3 will either.

Any suggestions on games that would maybe fit what I like? I've have Lego Indiana Jones, and that's pretty fun, but anything else?

Here's a good place to start, ;) we have quite a few games including some good RTS games. http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-games/alphabetical/

Edwin

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Napoleon: Total War which is released today might fit the bill nicely but if the system requirements are too high, you could check into the earlier entry in the series, Rome: Total War. You can find both on the Mac App Store and elsewhere.

Another suggestion is to check out the summer sale in progress at gog.com where they offer a lot of classic games for Mac too now. They also have some newer stuff as well.

Otherwise, I'd say just shop the App Store for stuff that might interest you. I'd recommend doing a search on Feral Interactive for some good games that will run on older hardware and you could also do a search on Aspyr too for more titles to look at.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
It's a flash game, but Kingdom Rush has been the single best time-waster of the last 2-3 years for me. And the sequel is out! (although it may still be iOS-only)

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Go get yourself a nintendo gba emulator and play some pokemon games. Especially if your computer can't handle diablo III or sims, there isn't much of a market for you.

However if you liked age of empires II, try age of mythology. Loved that series.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Diablo 3 runs on the Mac. There's a demo you can play.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Starcraft 2....Dota .....League. you could burn up years playing any of these and following there respective cultures. I wasted alot of time playing call of duty. Competitive multiplayer burns time.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Want to waste time you say? Pick any MMORPG. My current recommendation would be GuildWars2 or even World of Warcraft if you've not been there, done that all ready. :D

Red Cube

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
If you're looking for FPS, I'd say Doom, the Brütal Doom mod and the thousands of custom levels. You will never come out of your computer room again. And also Garry's Mod.

voigtstr

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Minecraft :)

Reactions: 960design

Dannel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2013
CarrotFantasy, I have played it for half a year, but have not passes it yet, :(

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Thanks for all the replies, I'll check in to them.

Just wondering, how's gaming through Parallels or VMWare Fusion? I have a Windows XP disc and was thinking I could get one of those, install XP, and play be able to buy less expensive games on eBay or Amazon.

If not, maybe get Windows 7/8 for Bootcamp and play through there? I've done that before but IIRC XP can't be install in Bootcamp with Mountain Lion.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
I didn't realize that you were talking about games you would like to play on your Mac. Zuma Deluxe is a game I can't play on my MBP. My family has a windows PC, and it's only available for windows computers or laptops. :(

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Your Macs are growing pretty long in the tooth, there. Have you considered selling them all to buy a new(er) one that exceeds the requirements for games you want to play?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.