Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I currently have 2 lines on AT&T. Im on a family plan with grandfathered unlimited data on both. The contracts on the lines are almost exactly a year apart so I am able to get a fully subsidized upgrade every time a new iPhone is released (I am one of those that has to have the newest device on launch day). So its been working well.

I've been starting to re-think my situation because the 2nd line is no longer being used, but I still pay for it. Let me also say that I am not a super heavy data user and I rarely go over 2Gb (Since sept 21st I've used a total of 16 gig). But I do really enjoy not really worrying about it when I need it. So I wanted to see what the best way to go would be considering that I do upgrade every year.

Would it be better to cancel the second line, lose my family plan, and unlimited data…But have my monthly bill be cheaper?. And use that savings to buy the phone outright every year.

Or is it better to keep both lines, keep unlimited data, and keep the ability to buy subsidized every year?

This situation with my second line not being used just came up this weekend. And I've just started to really think about it today. My bill right now for both lines is right around $200/mo.

Thanks for any advice!

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Can you give us a breakdown of what is being charged in that $200/mo? Would make it easier to analyze which route to go.

Also, since you say the 2nd line isn't being used, why not just put a dumbphone on it and only pay $10 per month? instead of paying for unlimited data on the 2nd line that isn't being used.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I recommend:

AT&T GoPhone $60 Prepaid Plan:

- Unlimited Talking, Unlimited Text (Includes International)
- Unlimited MMS
- Visual Voicemail
- LTE Access and 4G HSPA+ data
- 2GB Data Included Per month
- Just $60 (+$10/GB if needed)

I think this is a much better option...even if u paid $10/month extra for another GB...imagine your bill still being $60 cheaper....Total will be $120-$140 depending on your usage per month.

The plan gives you AT&T's Nation Wide coverage which IMO is way better than T-Mobile's any day.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Go phone will give you hell trying to get the next iPhone in launch day. Look how long it took them to allow the iPhone to be sold on the no contract plan.

Best thing is to just keep your one phone line on an individual plan with unlimited data. The money you are not spending for a second phone line will go towards a full priced new iphone on launch day

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Can you give us a breakdown of what is being charged in that $200/mo? Would make it easier to analyze which route to go.

Also, since you say the 2nd line isn't being used, why not just put a dumbphone on it and only pay $10 per month? instead of paying for unlimited data on the 2nd line that isn't being used.

I don't have it in front of me, but its the standard family plan with unlimited texting, 450 minutes (i think), and unlimited data. It comes out to $100 each. If I get a dumb phone and cancel the data, Im pretty sure it will kill the unlimited data on both lines since it's a family plan.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Go phone will give you hell trying to get the next iPhone in launch day. Look how long it took them to allow the iPhone to be sold on the no contract plan.

OP can always just go to the Apple Store or order online directly from Apple on launch day...don't have to rely on AT&T to get it....

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
Cancel the 2nd line... You said it yourself, you don't need ulmtd data.

If you are going to be saving $100/month, that's $1,200 per year you're saving.

As far as no upgrades... Just sell your year old iPhone when the new one is released, and pay full price. You'd only be coming out of pocket $300~$400. You're still saving over $700 a year.

dougbuzz

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2013
yeah,The plan gives you AT&T's Nation Wide coverage which IMO is way better than T-Mobile's any day.
mi8qzw

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Would it be better to cancel the second line, lose my family plan, and unlimited data…But have my monthly bill be cheaper?. And use that savings to buy the phone outright every year.
Thanks for any advice!

Yes, every other year however you'll still get your upgrade credit so you'll be quite a bit of money ahead. There are no downsides. The grandfathered unlimited data is so restricted that it's not really an advantage. I just gave up mine because I rarely go over 3GB and I wanted Mobile Hotspot. If I do need more data I'd rather pay for the extra GB's then have to deal with the super slow speeds that AT&T throttles you to on the unlimited plan.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
The grandfathered unlimited data is so restricted that it's not really an advantage.

I kept my unlimited data since:
1) it goes up to 5gb before throttling on LTE iPhone
2) adds to peace of mind knowing I wont get overages
3) gets discounted with employer 25% off discount

Newer data plans (3gb for $30 or family share plans) aren't eligible for the discount on the data portion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.