Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
As far as I know at Mountain Lion OS X can read NTFS but we need some 3rd party paid app to write NTFS. Is it the same with Mavericks or is there native support?

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Yes. There are no major file system changes. (Though I haven't delved deeply into CoreStorage to see what new features/interfaces they may have added/tweaked.)

I see. I don't know that much option file systems but I heard some people saying recently that HFS+ is getting old, and they wish Apple would go with something like ZFS. But unfortunately, no progress yet.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I see. I don't know that much option file systems but I heard some people saying recently that HFS+ is getting old, and they wish Apple would go with something like ZFS. But unfortunately, no progress yet.
What I want to know when the say HFS+ is getting old is what features they think it is lacking.

As for ZFS, what will that really gain you on a small one or 2 disk system? ZFS does have its uses, but most Mac configurations wouldn't really benefit from it in my opinion.

If Apple did adopt another filesystem as the main filesystem for OS X imagine the compatibility issues for moving external drives around. Also, would you have OS X change the filesystem on an OS upgrade or would you wind up with some people using one filesystem and other people using the new filesystem? This would become a support nightmare.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I've been using Paragon NTFS 10.2.204 for a while now and no problem at all on Mavericks, I actually don't see a reason upgrading all 3 of my computers to Paragon NTFS 11...

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Is SMB NTFS different?
I have a NAS that's been formatted as NTFS and when I mount it on my Mavericks Macbook it sees it as SMB NTFS and it writes to it just fine (one I gave my Macbook the right permissions).
Is this not normal?

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Interesting......
So now that I've switched to a Mac I was considering reformatting the NAS as exFAT.
Are you saying there'd be no point in doing that?
Thanks

There might be, but not for your mac. When you write to a NAS or network share, you send the data to the NAS or other computer, and the NAS or that other computer does the actual write action to the disk.

So for the remote computer, it doesn't matter one bit which filesystem is used as long as the NAS can write to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.