Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typeface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Hello you folks

I am looking at a website for a local cafe, and something doesn't sit right about their choice of typeface for block copy; it seems to hurt my eyes when reading paragraphs. Am I the right in thinking that they've over-used the typeface "king Kool KC"?

http://www.kafebloc.com

Thank you - I am a typographic newcomer - this is an education for me, albeit a VERY enjoyable one :)

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
You're right. What they're using for body copy is definitely a display typeface, something designed for headlines and very short blocks of text. It's not at all comfortable for reading anything over a line or so.

Like all rules, there's always exceptions, but in this case they're definitely breaking the "don't use display type for body copy" rule in a very bad way. A simple sans would've been a much better choice.

I don't personally love that typeface used as a headline either, it's a bit overly casual for them IMO.

typeface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
You're right. What they're using for body copy is definitely a display typeface, something designed for headlines and very short blocks of text. It's not at all comfortable for reading anything over a line or so.

Like all rules, there's always exceptions, but in this case they're definitely breaking the "don't use display type for body copy" rule in a very bad way. A simple sans would've been a much better choice.

I don't personally love that typeface used as a headline either, it's a bit overly casual for them IMO.

Agreed.

Thank you for your opinion; I value it a lot. :)

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Glad to help. I'd imagine there's some specialized typographic designers around here who can offer more insight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.