Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I think I know the answer but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything.

I have AT&T U-verse and have to use their supplied modem which has a built in 802.11n router.

In my apartment I have a 2010 MBP, iPhone 4S, iPhone 3G, and a Samsung Blu-ray player. Everything I believe can be run on wireless n except for the 3G. Around November I'm planning on ditching both iPhones for the new one that comes out and I'll be getting an AppleTV soon.

Are there any benefits I'm missing? Oh, I have a wifi printer that's off most of the time.

Since the older models have gone considerably down in cost I was wondering if now would be a good time to pick one up.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Hard to tell without knowing specifics about your current router. If it is an N router, then you are probably fine. What speed does your ISP provide? Usually generic routers work fine unless you have fios. One way to tell if your wireless router is holding you back is to do a speedtest.net on your MBP over wireless, then try plugged into Ethernet. If the speeds are similar a new router will not help.

hbrake69

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
ATT Uverse

ATT Uverse has 802.11 b & g - not N. I have Uverse & 24 MB download speed. With the AirPort Extreme my Speedtest.net loads at the same numbers as the Ethernet wired. The increase was about 20 % with AirPort Extreme & I would recommend the investment. I also am running PC, multiple Macs, iPhone 5's & iPads.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.