Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davecom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Is this the original Mac OS X version updated for Intel, or is this a Wine wrapper around the Windows version?

Any comments on how well it runs, how it looks, etc appreciated.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Is this the original Mac OS X version updated for Intel, or is this a Wine wrapper around the Windows version?

Any comments on how well it runs, how it looks, etc appreciated.

I always have the same question for new Mac-compatible GOG releases...Mac-original versions are normally MUCH better and look way sharper than crappy VGA PC versions.

Despite its rave reviews, I am still struggling to play Fallout 2 on my iMac - it looks that terrible.

davecom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Stronghold 3 is also currently on sale on Steam. So dilemma is $6 for Stronghold HD on GOG or $7.50 for Stronghold 3 on Steam. The price is essentially the same... the question is which is the better game. Reviews for Stronghold 3 were bad - but that was mostly due to bugs which presumably have been worked out by now.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Stronghold 3 is also currently on sale on Steam. So dilemma is $6 for Stronghold HD on GOG or $7.50 for Stronghold 3 on Steam. The price is essentially the same... the question is which is the better game. Reviews for Stronghold 3 were bad - but that was mostly due to bugs which presumably have been worked out by now.

Stronghold Crusader HD, available on GOG also, is widely held as the best game in the series although the original Stronghold is said to be good too. In both cases these are setup to run in Wine for you using Wineskin.

There are no native older Mac games on GOG that I am aware of. All the old games are either running with Boxer or Wineskin. The only native Mac games they sell are current indies with Mac versions.

Personally, I would recommend you pick up either Stronghold HD or Stronghold Crusader HD on GOG and skip Stronghold 3 for the time being. If you love the games you can always get Stronghold 3 and hope for the best later on. It will be on sale for cheap again in the fall and winter.

davecom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Thanks for the rec. I'll probably start with Stronghold HD then. Pity it's the Wine version, but better than not having it on the platform.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Thanks for the rec. I'll probably start with Stronghold HD then. Pity it's the Wine version, but better than not having it on the platform.

You aren't going to notice that it's wine because the game is so old. It'll run fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.