Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report from earlier this week indicating that Apple is still "aggressively" hiring new employees to support its smart watch project, 9to5Mac has published a lengthy feature highlighting a number of the company's recent hires. In particular, the report focus on Apple's hiring in the health sensor field.
Based on new hires, it seems that Apple's interest in sensors focuses on the ability to measure glucose and other body level information. With this data, the product could inform users of vital information in a non-invasive way. These sensors could also pick up more data to give a user a snapshot of their health, which would be ideal for fitness applications.

To assist with the development of these sensors, Apple has hired several scientists and executives from multiple sensor developers. Some notable firms who lost employees to Apple are AccuVein, C8 MediSensors, and Senseonics.
C8 MediSensors had been pursuing non-invasive monitoring of glucose and other substances, and Apple had reportedly considered an acquisition of the company. Ultimately, C8 MediSensors ceased operations and Apple was able to hire a number of the company's employees earlier this year.

continuous.png
Drawing from Apple patent application for a "slap bracelet" video accessory resembling a smart watch
The report also outlines the structure of Apple's "iWatch" group, which is reportedly led by Senior Vice President of Technologies Bob Mansfield, as well as former Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch and engineering senior director James Foster.
According to our sources, Lynch's side of the team is focused on overall software vision, and Foster's group is developing the technologies and mechanics that will shape the features of the device. While Lynch and Foster run two different groups that are part of the bigger project, sources say that the groups are closely knit.

Other Apple teams, such as Dan Riccio's Hardware Engineering group, Jony Ive's Industrial Design team, and Craig Federighi's software developers, are likely collaborating closely to develop the user-facing hardware and software.
Apple has also reportedly tapped some of the original iPhone engineers with expertise in miniaturization, as well as some of the company's Mac engineers with expertise in battery technology. In addition, some members of Apple's AuthenTec fingerprint sensor team are said to be working on other types of sensors for the iWatch.

Apple CEO Tim Cook addressed the topic of smart watches and other wearables at the D11 conference back in May, calling the market "incredibly interesting" and "ripe for exploration". Apple has been rumored for some time to be bringing a smart watch to the market, but while the company has begun filing for "iWatch" trademarks, the latest rumors have suggested the device may not launch until late next year as Apple works to solve numerous technical challenges.

Article Link: Apple Taps New Hires in Health Sensors, Broad Array of Internal Experts for 'iWatch' Team

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
This would be cool...

Why the ellipses? Have some confidence in your opinion, boy!

Anyway, the continuous screen patent actually coming into fruition is going to be dependent on how thin Apple can make the screen. If the device is initially .5 cm thick and it overlaps, the layered area will be (assuming my math is correct) 1 cm, which is a relatively large protrusion compared to the rest of the device. I'm super excited to see where they take this concept!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Don't care about sensors like this at all. Just want to play angry birds on my wrist LOL

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
If they are still hiring for things such as chips and sensors, this thing is still 1-2 years away from production.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
* The Top Five Questions From Joe & Jane Public*

With top five answers answers:

iWut?
iWatch. Not too difficult.

By who?
Apple

Does what?
Some pretty awesome things.

And it's a must have item because?
Is your iPad a must have item?

All for the low, low price of?
Expensive as any other premium piece of technology you'd buy.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Is the iWatch going to be like the iPhone, i.e., people not knowing they need it until they have it and then can't live without it? :)

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
This would be amazing for people with diabetes (both types, though type I is where I really see it coming into play). It would really help diabetics monitor their glucose levels and avoid hypoglycemic reactions, which can have effects much like being very drunk (including blackouts).

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
What would be cool, if they could make it control your new apple tv on your wall. Channels, volume, on/off slider...which is all anyone needs for on move tv remote on your wrist.

My dream team is for Apple to merge with Roku and merge that into new 4k hd tv set...with iwatch, iphone, iPad, and Mac remote controls.

Roku almost done this with their new Roku stick but I would love total integration that can be developed over time..unlike a lot of smart tv's out now. You get a netflix app that never works quite right or never gets updates.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
continuous.png

'Please Sir, can you spare some change?'

Gerald spent every last dime on his iWatch. Now he is in need of money to pay for the on-going subscription charges for various features of said device. Won't you spare just $2 a month to help people like Gerald get their continuous supply of Apple-goodness?

Yannin28

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Chicago, IL
For those who aren't diabetic, besides a pulse monitor, what other health sensors could they use? I don't see it being that revolutionary for the average customer

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
With top five answers answers:

iWut?
iWatch. Not too difficult.

By who?
Apple

Does what?
Some pretty awesome things.

Is your iPad a must have item?

Expensive as any other premium piece of technology you'd buy.

Soon you will have to answer to those saying they stopped using watches 20 years ago... As if the iwatch was a watch

----------

For those who aren't diabetic, besides a pulse monitor, what other health sensors could they use? I don't see it being that revolutionary for the average customer

I'm sure if you think a bit more you could answer yourself.... Or maybe not.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I have not worn a watch in years, but I might be able to get into something like this. First of all, I am diabetic, but I am also an avid exerciser. I have a chest strap that reports to a watch and I haven't used it in months because it's a pain to carry around, and then what do you do with a sweaty chest strap after you're done?

I would love something tracking my blood sugar, my heart rate, temperature, etc. and sending it to an app. But, I also would love something that can discretely let me know about new messages, remind me of appointments, etc.

Yeah, I know my phone can do this, but I'm constantly putting my phone in and out of silent mode and half the time I don't feel the vibration in my pocket and miss something. Or I forget to take it out of silent mode. I doubt I would miss a vibration on my wrist.

Biosensors and wrist access to iPhone data make this fairly compelling for me.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
* The Top Five Questions From Joe & Jane Public *

iWut?

By who?

Does what?

Yes and the iPad is just a big overpriced iPod that no one will buy. :roll eyes:

You luddites and haters are like a broken record of Leonard Nimoy singing By Myself.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
This would be amazing for people with diabetes (both types, though type I is where I really see it coming into play). It would really help diabetics monitor their glucose levels and avoid hypoglycemic reactions, which can have effects much like being very drunk (including blackouts).

The possibilities are endless.

In the case cited above, the information is secretly transmitted to the insurance company. When Mr. or Ms. Patient slips and fails to eat the proper diet, that too goes to the insurance company who in turn gradually increases the insurance premiums. In the event of hospitalization, it too is recorded. A few months later for some unknown reason the patients insurance is cancelled. :eek:

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Yeah, but here at Macrumors we'd really much prefer to comment on comments instead of content.

LOL i was just talking to someone yesterday about how every forum has its own culture and mac rumors was all about commenting on articles and then everyone attacking and bashing each other because of what they said. And to be hones i do love to read the coments here its like watching a mexican soap opera...so dramatic :)

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Biometric sensors in an iWatch have lots of potential for good, but how long before we get attempts to gamify improving your health in some crackpot way (it doesn't have to be a crackpot way, but too many in the health industry don't seem to know that).

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

Actually, for the average person it might not be that revolutionary but for athletes, it could be. If they can get non-invasive blood analysis working there could be lots of cool stuff. Imagine knowing the % of oxygen in your blood throughout a workout. If you are monitoring the right things you could tailor your workout so that you remain in just the right range for whatever it is that you want (fat loss, muscle hypertrophy,etc.)

There are already apps for women to track their cycles, imagine if a woman wants to get pregnant (or not) and could use her temperature and/or hormone levels to make decisions.

The uses are many, but it depends on how accurate and what kinds of measurements these sensors can take.

Aidyn's X

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010

Not only for people with diabetes, but people in general. This could help people find where their ideal blood sugar levels are for sustained energy throughout the day. It could recommend foods to eat to help you maintain that high level. I see a lot potential.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

This is just what I hope this product will encapsulate but think Fitbit Flex on steroids with tight smartphone integration and a great display; The potential for this thing is huge IMO.

You'd be able to track daily activity, monitor sleep quality, track and monitor vitals during workouts, track blood insulin levels during a diet, etc.... all while using a product that replaces your watch. There's definitely a huge market for this, you can tell by all the intense interest expressed by companies like Google, MSFT and Apple. Of course all but Apple will rush this thing to market.

Edit: Of course some companies are already bringing to market smart watches that go above and beyond Pebble-like systems - Link. I for one cannot wait to see what Apple comes up with.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.