Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GForensic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Hello All,

I currently own Lightroom 4 and I am considering upgrading to Lightroom 5. My question is does any body know if there is any difference between the "upgrade" version and the Student Teacher or "full" version? I know the upgrade is cheaper but I can also get the full boxed version at around the same price due to my niece getting a student discount. I assume it would be the same but I want to make sure I am getting the same product either way.

Sorry in advance if this is a repost.

Thanks!!

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
Hello All,

I currently own Lightroom 4 and I am considering upgrading to Lightroom 5. My question is does any body know if there is any difference between the "upgrade" version and the Student Teacher or "full" version? I know the upgrade is cheaper but I can also get the full boxed version at around the same price due to my niece getting a student discount. I assume it would be the same but I want to make sure I am getting the same product either way.

Sorry in advance if this is a repost.

Thanks!!

They're the same. It might be worth trying to sell your copy of LR4 for $40 then buying the student & teacher version to make the upgrade even cheaper.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
Except that goes against the EULA (selling "used" software)

Goood point - to the OP, be sure to check the law in your area before doing this. I live in Europe where it's well within the law to sell on software, but I don't know what the law is in the US.

Bear in mind that even in Europe, you'd only be able to sell Lr4 if you get a whole new license (ie - student & teacher), you would NOT be able to sell your copy of Lr4 if you only buy the upgrade.

Hope that helps.

MajkJaro

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2013
I have a question - does Lightroom use more SSD (like rMBP13 has) or i7 and more powerful graphic card (like cMBP15 has)? Thinking of buying a cMBP15 or rMBP13 so thats my question.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I have a question - does Lightroom use more SSD (like rMBP13 has) or i7 and more powerful graphic card (like cMBP15 has)? Thinking of buying a cMBP15 or rMBP13 so thats my question.

I'm using LR on my 2008 Macbook Pro 2.53GHz . You shouldn't have any problem with any Mac you choose. Aperture and Photoshop are a power hog unlike LR. I like using the 15in because the screen size is more closer to a 8x9 photo.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
mofunk but would you prefer 15 inch cMBP or 13 rMBP?

Personally I like the 15in. I do other things that require me to have the 15in. like There is a separate in/output on the 15in which I use. I'm on my Mac a lot and when I travel I use my iPad. So weight isn't an issue. Retina Display would be nice to use if you are watching videos. I don't think it makes a difference if you are editing stills. But that's my pref.

If you have an Apple store in your area... stop by and check it out. The Macs in the Apple store have Adobe Suites on them and Aperture. You can check out what the photos look like on them.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Student versions are meant to be used for a single year and are not eligible for upgrades to future versions. Best to buy the upgrade version every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.