Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Good morning

My daughter just got an iPod 5 gen touch for her birthday.
I'd like to add an iMessage account for her to get message's to her.
When I add another email address, all I get is.

iMessage Activation
Error Description not available
?
Could this be from the developers account issue?
Any suggestions?
Cheers
B

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Is this an email that is an Apple ID email. I believe you can't actually add one. The one that is used for this device is added.

I had this error a while ago and I thnk I found the above fact but it was awhile ago so..

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Good morning

My daughter just got an iPod 5 gen touch for her birthday.
I'd like to add an iMessage account for her to get message's to her.
When I add another email address, all I get is.

iMessage Activation
Error Description not available
?
Could this be from the developers account issue?
Any suggestions?
Cheers
B

I don't have enough info from your post to completely understand your issue, but here's a shot in the dark.

You need to register for a new AppleID (@me OR @iCloud) for her. I did this for all 4 members of my family (including 2 daughters). If memory serves me correctly, I had to use my birthday for the kids because you have to be 18 to have an Apple ID. When setting up the iPod for the first time, you should be able to go through the set up process and register for a new Apple ID (do not use an existing AppleID). This is where you will get your daughters new @me Apple ID for the first time.

This @me does not need to be tied to a Credit Card (in other words, it doesn't have to be the purchasing account tied to her iPod for apps, music, etc).

After you successfully get the iPod set up with the free @me AppleID, you can go into settings and attach your AppleID for purchased content if you want (i.e., music, apps, etc.).

In my household (myself, wife, and 2 daughters), we all share a single Apple ID for purchases (Settings>iTunes and app store). This is actually a gmail account. But we all use it. So if I purchase an app, everyone in my family can download it if they choose to.

For everything else, we all use separate @me Apple IDs (FaceTime, iMessage, Cloud--->contacts, email, calendars, photo stream, etc.). This is what you are trying to get for your daughter.

This is a long answer. If you already knew this...my apologies.

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Thanks
I had done this with my wife and did a brain gap.
All done now, yes you are correct over 18.
Created a new Apple ID and she's up and running.
:)
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.