Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anewman143

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
I'm outgrowing my Canon backpack - here's what I want to be able to carry with me:
1 body
At least 4 lenses, longest is a 7-200 f/4L
At least 1 flash
Filter case
Charger/cables
Other assorted knick-knacks
Monopod/tripod attachment site preferred

Not hiking huge distances, but 1-2 miles is about average, so comfort is a bonus

So - recommendation? Lowepro makes some nice ones...don't really know any others..

Thanks!

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I'm outgrowing my Canon backpack - here's what I want to be able to carry with me:
1 body
At least 4 lenses, longest is a 7-200 f/4L
At least 1 flash
Filter case
Charger/cables
Other assorted knick-knacks
Monopod/tripod attachment site preferred

Not hiking huge distances, but 1-2 miles is about average, so comfort is a bonus

So - recommendation? Lowepro makes some nice ones...don't really know any others..

Thanks!

Check out the packs from Gura Gear - extremely comfortable. I have their largest because I have a monster old manual focus 500mm, but they have multiple sizes. Pricey, but well made, tripod attachments, etc. Give it a look!

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
I bought a Vivitar DKS-25 after comparing it in person at B&H, with the Lowenpro and they're just as well made at a fraction of the cost. Mine can carry my two camera bodies, 2 camera bodies, 70-200 f2.8, 4 plus additional lenses, 3 flashes, assorted cables, MacBook Pro, and a tripod.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Check out both Thinktank and Kata for some nice bags for field work.

anewman143

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Thanks everyone for the input - I think I'm going to go with the Tamrac Expedition 6X - so far the best combo of design and cost for my needs right now. I will post a review once I get it and try it out!

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks everyone for the input - I think I'm going to go with the Tamrac Expedition 6X - so far the best combo of design and cost for my needs right now. I will post a review once I get it and try it out!

Be careful. I have two similar sized camera backpacks. One is a Tamrac, the other a Lowepro. I don't recall the model designations. The Lowepro is much more comfortable for me. So if possible, try before you buy.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
+1 for thinktank. The Streetwalker sounds like it would probably meet your needs nicely. I bought a thinktank bag recently - They're expensive, but I find it to be of better quality than my old lowepro bag.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
+1 for thinktank. The Streetwalker sounds like it would probably meet your needs nicely. I bought a thinktank bag recently - They're expensive, but I find it to be of better quality than my old lowepro bag.

There are lots of good bags out there but unfortunately, many go on the cheap only to find not only that the bags don't last too long but the equipment is really not "safe" from typical banging around. This is why I tend to go with well made bags such as ThinkTank and Kata. I have had over the years bags from all the named makers from this thread and each has had specific models of bags (not necessarily backpack style) that were excellent and some that were more or less, 'what were they thinking' terrible. Kata and ThinkTank seem to be very consistent on quality throughout their line.

Ideally one should fill up a backpack and put it on first before buying. See how it feels, how easy does equipment go in and out of the bag and if the openings of the bags/packs fit their style of use. Often a pack might be very close to what one needs but miss out on an individual 'task.' Before dismissing that bag/pack, consider if there are adjustments and work around using dividers and padding along with making velcro straps etc.

Over the years, I have found that when doing outdoors photog on a short walk about, I preferred a combo of bags or rather a central bag and then separate cases for lenses and then again, on longer explorations a more typical backpack as discussed here.

InTheMist

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2013
I like the Lowepro AW series for backpacking with my cameras. But I hike a bit farther and like the built-in camelback pouches.

Go to the Lowepro website, they have a very useful configurator where you can input the equipment you have and it spits out recommendations.

stevendphoto

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
I bought a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, there is a larger one (500) and a few smaller ones (300 & 200).

It is a great bag, super well made, very comfortable, a bit cumbersome to pull you stuff out of (best to take it off), but your stuff is very secure and having the AW feature means you can pull a water-proof cover out of the bottom and completely cover your bag, if you were to be two miles in the back country and get some rain.

I did try one on at Samy's, as everyone's bodies (and frame) are different and a back that fits awesome on a 6'2" tall guy, may not feel right on a 5'6" fat guy (no offense)...

Lastly, the reason I tried on on at a brick-n-mortar place before buying it on eBay was the price $199 List and it was not much over $100 brand new on eBay... I would be suspicious of the Chinese vendors with super-low prices, as they could be selling you a counterfit version...

Last edited:

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Another vote for Tamrac! I love my backpack! It can hold everything you have and more. I have the Adventure 10 5550. Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited:

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Yet another vote for Tamrac. I love my Evolution. Very comfortable and the whole selling point for me was being able to slip off either shoulder strap and swing the bag around to get to not only the body, but the lenses as well. No more need to find somewhere clean to set the bag down to change lenses or throw on the flash.

My Evolution would be way too small for the OP's needs, but I'm not sure how big they go. Mine holds the body w/ lens, a couple extra lenses, flash, plus other assorted accessories.

Blank10123

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
I recently upgraded my camera backpack due to having expanded my gear, I was torn between the thinktank airport essentials or the lowepro flipside 400aw, After going into the store to try the bags out with my kit I actually went for thinktank airport essentials, The build quality of thinktank bags are 2nd to none and I am really impressed with the amount of kit it can hold.

I've managed to fit in 1 body,1 point and shoot, 3 lenses, 2 flashes, filters batteries, chargers and I've even been able to fit all my gopro gear including mounts, chest strap etc as well.

The bag is a decent size and holds everything securely in a compact form factor. The bags shoulder straps have sufficient padding which makes it comfortable to wear. The airport essentials also meets carry on restrictions for airlines which wasn't necessary for me but could come in handy some day :p
Finally a big bonus which I went for is that it has the ability to hold a 13" MBP, (I'm waiting for haswell to come out hence why I've been lurking on the forum ) I even checked in my local apple store and the retina 15" even squeezes into the compartment which is a bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.