Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
California
Does anyone believe or have any information on the iPod Classic? Specifically, will it be discontinued or updated? Or will Apple run it for another year as is?

I still have my iPod Classic/video 30gb that I bought in 2005. Although it's still runnin, I have a feeling it won't live much longer and I want to make sure I have a Classic before Apple discontinues them. Should I buy now or wait?:apple:

LeiLei

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
CA
I am in the same boat as you I've had my classic for a long time. But I think my harddrive is starting to fail. And i need all 80g that it has, the touch just doesn't have nearly enough space.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you guys are really loving the click-wheel and single-purposeness of the iPod classic, consider upgrading your devices to an SSD. There are instructions and discussions about how to do that all over. I've been considering buying a used iPod Mini to upgrade to a 128GB Compact Flash, when I get the time and money.

If Apple does discontinue the iPod classic sometime, I'm sure it will remain in the refurb store after that for a while.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Sure hope not. I have had a classic since day 1 introduction 1st generation and a few more since. It is in my opinion the best iPod Apple ever made. And even more so since you have been able to change the drives to either increase size or size & speed.

If it is done with, I will be buying a couple of new ones and storing them away for future use. Great piece of equipment Apple. Here's keeping my fingers crossed for an updated rather then discontinuing.

You can always upgrade the HDD in them. I know they make a 1TB drive for sure. Not sure of the biggest SSD but certainly bigger than what you currently have.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I know they make a 1TB drive for sure. Not sure of the biggest SSD but certainly bigger than what you currently have.

Nope, no 1TB. 160GB is the largest CE-ATA 1.8" hard drive available easily; that's the type you would need. Some other forum's posts claim to have 240GB drives, but they are certainly not easy to come by on the market, if at all. 128GB and 256GB SSDs are available in that size though.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Nope, no 1TB. 160GB is the largest CE-ATA 1.8" hard drive available easily; that's the type you would need. Some other forum's posts claim to have 240GB drives, but they are certainly not easy to come by on the market, if at all. 128GB and 256GB SSDs are available in that size though.

Hate to correct you on this one. I currently have a 500GB in mine and know for a fact a 1TB is available. Shop that does the replacement drives for me will not tell me where they are getting them. I am guessing to protect their business. I am not talking SSD at that size. I was not aware of SSD sizes, just that they are available. And now the sizes since you have told me.

The only reason I know it is 500GB in mine is due to the fact I have it very close to full at 466GB of music and movies. So kind of hard for the shop to lie about it.

Last edited:

priamos

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
Hate to correct you on this one. I currently have a 500GB in mine and know for a fact a 1TB is available. Shop that does the replacement drives for me will not tell me where they are getting them. I am guessing to protect their business. I am not talking SSD at that size. I was not aware of SSD sizes, just that they are available. And now the sizes since you have told me.

The only reason I know it is 500GB in mine is due to the fact I have it very close to full at 466GB of music and movies. So kind of hard for the shop to lie about it.

where is this shop??

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

I stand corrected. After contacting the shop today that does my iPod hdd, they corrected me. The 1TB never came to exist. I STAND CORRECTED!

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
I stand corrected. After contacting the shop today that does my iPod hdd, they corrected me. The 1TB never came to exist. I STAND CORRECTED!

Can you also pinpoint me to that store ? What iPod do you have to hold that Hard Drive ? I installed the Toshiba 240gb in my 2006 iPod Video which is the best sounding iPod ever period and I wouldn't sacrifice the audio quality for a post-2007 model.

You say you have it almost full but this is my biggest concern. That the iPod may actually have a software limit for number of songs so that it might stop reading them after a certain limit, let's say 20 000 or something like that, making the remaining storage basically useless.

My 240 should suffice since I put only music on it but more space never hurts

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
ipodrepaircenter.com, they do not list it on their site but do have them. They are located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Call them and talk to them. Go people to deal with. Just be prepared for price. Big drive, big money.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
California
Can you also pinpoint me to that store ? What iPod do you have to hold that Hard Drive ? I installed the Toshiba 240gb in my 2006 iPod Video which is the best sounding iPod ever period and I wouldn't sacrifice the audio quality for a post-2007 model.

You say you have it almost full but this is my biggest concern. That the iPod may actually have a software limit for number of songs so that it might stop reading them after a certain limit, let's say 20 000 or something like that, making the remaining storage basically useless.

My 240 should suffice since I put only music on it but more space never hurts

So you're saying that different iPods produce different levels of sound quality? Would my iPod video 30gb 2005 purchase have the better SQ?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
An SSD upgrade to the iPod Classic would be welcome. Love iPod Classics. Hope they don't do away with them.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
An SSD upgrade to the iPod Classic would be welcome. Love iPod Classics. Hope they don't do away with them.

It's quite unlikely.

The only thing saving the iPod classic is that the hard drives offer a lot of storage capacity very cheap.

If they could produce 160GB (or even 128GB) Flash devices at that cost, they'd probably make an 128GB iPod touch.

Being a "classic" doesn't mean Apple will keep it around. If anything, it means they'll be more likely to cancel it. Just look what happened to the white MacBook. That was Apple's best-selling Mac and it got cancelled. The iPod Classic isn't even the best selling iPod. Plus it has the old dock connector. Plus they don't make money from selling apps for it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Being a "classic" doesn't mean Apple will keep it around. If anything, it means they'll be more likely to cancel it. Just look what happened to the white MacBook. That was Apple's best-selling Mac and it got cancelled. The iPod Classic isn't even the best selling iPod. Plus it has the old dock connector. Plus they don't make money from selling apps for it.
It's not always about the apps. At this point how much of the price of a new iPod Classic is profit to Apple? Apple may realize that cancelling the Classic is a bad idea and as long as it makes a profit they may leave it alone.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Yes, this is exactly my position, too, and that would be my ideal iPod. Actually, I love the classic and have had one of them (replaced at intervals) for almost a decade now.

It is absolutely wonderful, one of the best inventions ever, (to my mind) and I never travel anywhere without one tucked in my briefcase. Mine is always in use. In any case, I'd certainly consider buying a few as spares, but my concept of a 'perfect' classic would include a decent sized SSD drive.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
It's not always about the apps. At this point how much of the price of a new iPod Classic is profit to Apple? Apple may realize that cancelling the Classic is a bad idea and as long as it makes a profit they may leave it alone.
Well, it's lasted a long time. I'll give it that.

All I'm saying is that Apple gets rid of things even if they're popular. The white MacBook is probably the best example. They also move to new technologies even if it means a "downgrade". For example, replacing the hard-disk iPod mini with the flash-based iPod nano. You got a smaller device, but less space for your money.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
California
It's quite unlikely.

The only thing saving the iPod classic is that the hard drives offer a lot of storage capacity very cheap.

If they could produce 160GB (or even 128GB) Flash devices at that cost, they'd probably make an 128GB iPod touch.

Although I hate to hear it, this post makes sense. In any case, on announcement day if it does get cancelled, I'll run to the Apple store and buy one..

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
I have a great sounding 5th gen. 80 gig iPod I am boxing up and sending off tomorrow to have a 240gb drive installed. Around 250USD. I really, really wish Apple offered one but I don't see it happening. The 240gb drives have been around for a few years and nothing from Apple. The days of the dedicated music player from Cupertino are numbered.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I've been considering buying a used iPod Mini to upgrade to a 128GB Compact Flash, when I get the time and money.

Save your money. The iPod Mini is possibly the worst sounding mp3 player I have ever had the displeasure of owning. Even worse sounding than some throwaway cheapies. I have upgraded my own 30GB iPod 5 Video to 120GB, which is as much as its onboard memory will cope with. It was surprisingly easy and quick to do.

I genuinely do not hear much difference between it and the latest iPod Classic I also have. Both are quite mediocre sounding, to be honest, and I mainly have these running through my audio system's own DAC. One good thing in favour of iPods is the amount of support these devices have from external audio systems, including navigation.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Save your money. The iPod Mini is possibly the worst sounding mp3 player I have ever had the displeasure of owning. Even worse sounding than some throwaway cheapies. I have upgraded my own 30GB iPod 5 Video to 120GB, which is as much as its onboard memory will cope with. It was surprisingly easy and quick to do.

I genuinely do not hear much difference between it and the latest iPod Classic I also have. Both are quite mediocre sounding, to be honest, and I mainly have these running through my audio system's own DAC. One good thing in favour of iPods is the amount of support these devices have from external audio systems, including navigation.

That's odd, the 2nd Gen iPod mini had a Wolfson DAC, and is usually considered one of the better DACs used in portable music players. This guy even upgrades them with larger capacitors for even better sound.

To be honest though, even if it's not the best, how bad can it be? Especially since I'll be plugging into the 30-pin connector on my car's headunit and using that as an amplifier.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
California

Another reason I love the iPod. Almost everything audio related these days are made to work with the iPod. Can't say that about the iPhone 5/Android etc..

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I'd say the odds that Apple will update the Classic are less than 1%. It just doesn't fit into their modern design ethos. At the same time I think it still has at least another year or two of life. Once their other pocket-sized devices come closer in capacity you can start worrying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.