Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radicalgel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
I just got the iPad 4 64Gb WiFi only model yesterday and noticed that I get that slight (static) crackle when connecting earphones to it. Once it's connected it's perfect, no issues. To describe the sound better, it's a milder version of the crackling heard when touching (with your fingers) the exposed stereo jack of powered speakers when they are on. Is this normal or should I be worried?

UPDATE: I can also hear it (extremely mild) when I have the earphones plugged in (no audio playing) and I bring up the keyboard for typing. Same thing happens when I hide the keyboard. Note, it's really low in volume so you have to pay attention to even hear it, but it's there.

Last edited:

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's normal for any device, whether it's a stereo, tablet, etc. I imagine it's the static generated by pushing metal across metal as you insert the plug. I've never brought up the keyboard with headphones attached, so I can't comment on that. You could take your headphones to the store, and see if the display model makes the same sound with the keyboard. You also have 90 days of free phone service with Apple, and they should be able to answer your question about the keyboard.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
My iPad 3 used to give that static but not much from my iPhone 5.. Regarding the keyboard thing.. You're sure it ain the sound effect of typing and the button pressed when you hide it yea? Just had to be sure :eek:

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011
Normal. Happens to every thing. Even professional sound boards. If you unplug a chord, you get a pop. Vice versa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.