Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moraigh144

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I have noticed that i am receiving a lot of spam emails where the subject line is blank . So I want to set up a RULE in the Preferences to automatically delete them . I cannot seem to get the RULES to accept " where subject is blank/empty." Can anyone tells me how you write " blank/empty" ?:confused:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have noticed that i am receiving a lot of spam emails where the subject line is blank . So I want to set up a RULE in the Preferences to automatically delete them . I cannot seem to get the RULES to accept " where subject is blank/empty." Can anyone tells me how you write " blank/empty" ?:confused:
What if a friend forgets to put a subject on their message? So you might want to try as shown in the attachment. Note I haven't tested it, but in theory it should work. You might want to initially put them in a separate folder to check if the rule works.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 10.46.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 10.46.16 AM.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 94

Moraigh144

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hi .. I have tried this and it doesn't work .. so i am assuming there is something else that indicates it means null/empty etc . Re friends with no subject ... i will take the risk ... the spam emails are now getting to high daily numbers

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I don't think it works with it blank and I don't see a way to accomplish no subject. How about using the bellow string idea from here.

That should work.

Code:
Where the Subject line does not contain 'a' or 'e' or 'i' or 'o' or 'u' or 'y' or '0' or '1' or '2' or '3' or '4' or '5' or '6' or '7' or '8' or '9'

Moraigh144

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
This seems to have done the trick ... I have had no spam emails for approx 7 hours ..... many many thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.