Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

douglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I am about to upgrade from my 2009 iMac with Snow Leopard to a new iMac with OSX 10.8 ML. I use my Canon 2525 to scan to my iMac regularly and it works great. However I understand from my Canon tech support rep that i can not scan directly to an iMac with ML due to security protocols in the OS. There is apparently a work-around by changing security settings, but don't know if I'm comfortable with that.

Any advice on how to use my Canon scanner with OSX 10.8 ML? Are there step by step instructions if I need to change security settings? Thanks.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Sounds bogus, like a problem with Canon's software that they're not prepared to fix.
I'd want to know what the "changes" are to security settings that makes the software work. And I would ask them when are they going to make a new version of their software.

You could see if there are third-party drivers that would work.

Apple provides drivers directly for some models of printers: it doesn't look as if yours is listed. I use Apple's Image Capture my with EPSON scanner and it works effortlessly. It's possible that a driver for a different Canon printer, that is supported by Apple on 10.8 will work with your printer, perhaps with a bit of fiddling.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are you referring to the Canon Imagerunner? From their web site, it looks like there are drivers for Mountain Lion.

I use a Canon scanner and just installed the drivers and it worked. Like benwiggy, I have no idea what security setting in ML would interfere.

e9HkvzK.png

douglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Are you referring to the Canon Imagerunner? From their web site, it looks like there are drivers for Mountain Lion.

I use a Canon scanner and just installed the drivers and it worked. Like benwiggy, I have no idea what security setting in ML would interfere.

e9HkvzK.png

Yes, my machine is the ImageRunner 2525. Thanks for the info - I'll be talking to my Canon service rep to sort out fact from fiction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.