Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agonza80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
All,

In my new Macbook Air 2013, when I turn the volume up to max in Mountain Lion and play certain youtube videos, a distortion/crackle comes from the left speaker caused most likely by vibrating caps lock and shift keys on the left side. I don't have the same problem in my Windows 8 Bootcamp, in which sounds are seem generally lower.

Can anyone verify this for me? I don't want to go to the Apple Store if it is a known issue due to it being just a "laptop" speaker and not meant to be perfect at max volume.

For those who have the latest MBA, here is a video you can try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyWez_Nkz2o
Between 1:40-1:50.

Let me know if you can hear this distortion. I can really notice it if I change my speaker balance to the left.

Thank you!

--Alejandro

agonza80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
It seems to happen when volume is above 80%. More on spoken word/movies then music.

agonza80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Thanks. Must be just mine then. Problem goes away if a lay my hand over the caps lock/shift key.. must be something loose. Will try resetting PRAM, etc when I get back to see if something made the speaker volume too loud compared to Windows 8 (in which the sound is perfect). Then if that doesn't work.. off to the apple store..

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Yup, fine for me as well. Weird that it goes away when you hold the caps lock or shift key. Doesn't seem like those keys are loose enough to move and rattle from the speakers.

agonza80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
It only happens when everything is in max volume. The MBA 2013 is much louder then my old Late 2010 air, if I lower it to the same volume as the max volume of the late 2010 air, it doesn't happen. The youtube video I posted shows the best example between 1:40-1:50. Doesn't happen all the time, just at certain frequencies.. more with spoken word.

Really strange..

--Alex

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
You shouldn't ever play electronics at full blast, you'll wear out the speakers faster. You should always play any electronic at 80% and you get the best quality. As for the quality of YouTube sound isn't amazing whatsoever so I wouldn't use that as a test.

agonza80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
At 80%, it works fine actually. If 80% is the best quality, it can explain the poor quality at 100%....

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Those speakers really aren't meant to be played at max volume. You likely ARE getting some key rattle at 100%, but I think thats pretty normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.