Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sup3rknova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Riverside, CA
Hello everyone,
I just started learning electric guitar. I am not trying to do any serious recording, just learning and having fun with my 6 year old boy learning together. I know I can simply get a cord to go from the guitar to the headphone jack into my macbook pro to get some good garageband effects. But is there any adapter or way to hear the audio through my headphones when playing late at night? Something similar to those dual headphone plugs that would allow two headphones. I know it wouldn't be the same thing since one audio is in and one is out, but I figured theres gotta be a way to send my guitar into the laptop but hear it only through headphones. I do not have an amp by the way...Like I said, for now I'm just casually learning and having fun. Thanks for any replies. :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello everyone,
I just started learning electric guitar. I am not trying to do any serious recording, just learning and having fun with my 6 year old boy learning together. I know I can simply get a cord to go from the guitar to the headphone jack into my macbook pro to get some good garageband effects. But is there any adapter or way to hear the audio through my headphones when playing late at night? Something similar to those dual headphone plugs that would allow two headphones. I know it wouldn't be the same thing since one audio is in and one is out, but I figured theres gotta be a way to send my guitar into the laptop but hear it only through headphones. I do not have an amp by the way...Like I said, for now I'm just casually learning and having fun. Thanks for any replies. :)

Get a "real" audio interface with in instrument input and a headphone jack. The cheapest one that is still good quality is about $60
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha
May as well buy it from these guys too, they offer a free extended warranty. and lifetime tech sort from the same person each time you call.

This unit will also allow a mic to be plugged in so you can record two channels or an acoustic instruments. It can drive monitor speakers too.

The next step up in quality is about $150 but you don't need it.

Sup3rknova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Riverside, CA
Get a "real" audio interface with in instrument input and a headphone jack. The cheapest one that is still good quality is about $60
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha
May as well buy it from these guys too, they offer a free extended warranty. and lifetime tech sort from the same person each time you call.

This unit will also allow a mic to be plugged in so you can record two channels or an acoustic instruments. It can drive monitor speakers too.

The next step up in quality is about $150 but you don't need it.
Looks cool. I saw on youtube someone just used a $5 cable to go from the guitar to headphone port. Just thought there was a similar way to hear it through headphones as well if I wanted to without an audio interface. Not looking for a mic hookup or anything. Its a cool way to hook up but for right now I think its more than I really need.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Looks cool. I saw on youtube someone just used a $5 cable to go from the guitar to headphone port. Just thought there was a similar way to hear it through headphones as well if I wanted to without an audio interface. Not looking for a mic hookup or anything. Its a cool way to hook up but for right now I think its more than I really need.

OK the root of the problem is the jack It is a four conductor combo jack not the normal three conductor stereo. It works with telephone type headsets.

If you want a passive adaptor cable, look at the "iRig" http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig/

It works in the iPhone and the Macbook. The quality is not the best as this is simply a bunch of wire and adaptor plugs.

But the same company makes a guitar amp sim that is, I think the best one on the market for both Mac and IOS. There are free versions.

But really if you are into music you are going to want a "real" audio interface at some point.

The iRig is about $19 on Amazon. You could make one for $5 but I don't know where to buy one for $5. But the problem is the sound quality is just not there.

ChrisS94

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
ChrisA, I've been having the same problem. I'm looking to be a little more invested in recording though. I looked at your Sweetwater link and I'm not sure which would be best for me. I would like to record guitars and a vocalist and drummer. There is a white unit and black unit... Which would work best for me?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
ChrisA, I've been having the same problem. I'm looking to be a little more invested in recording though. I looked at your Sweetwater link and I'm not sure which would be best for me. I would like to record guitars and a vocalist and drummer. There is a white unit and black unit... Which would work best for me?

It is the same unit. The front is white the rear is black.

I listed that one only because it is the lowest priced product that I knew was any good for the exact use case in the past above mine.

In YOUR case you say "more invested in recording" so you'd want something different. I'd recommend at least an audio interface with two inputs that have "Phantom Power". You are limey looking at something at the $150 price point. And then you are looking at some microphones and stands and microphone cables and pop filters and a place to record and so on.

The guy who simply wants to plug and electric guitar into an IOS device and practice only needs a$20 iRig adaptor cable.

Start a NEW thread and say exactly what you want to do. List near term and one year goals and if this is for your own use or with others and what you do with the results. People will offer suggestions but need info about you

Remember there is no "best" equipment there is only a "best match" you your needs.

ChrisS94

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Thanks, ChrisA! I guess I looked at the other interfaces and I guess what I need doesnt need that much investment yet. I'm going to go with the Alpha for now.. Thanks!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I'd recommend at least an audio interface with two inputs that have "Phantom Power". You are limey looking at something at the $150 price point.

I think you can get all that for a bit less. I had an Alesis iO2 for over a year that cost me $75 and was very happy with it - gave it to a friend when I upgraded to a 4 channel interface. M-Audio recently bought the company and is selling the same thing in black case for $100.

Looks like the prices have gone up recently, the stock of the old Alesis version is probably starting to run out, but B&H has is for $88

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/685448-REG/Alesis_IO2_EXPRESS_iO2_Express_USB_Audio.html

musihcmakr

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Robotic Playback

Hey everyone,
Forgive me if Im posting in the wrong place but I was looking for someone who could help me out with a recording issue. I have the M-Audio Fasttrack Pro interface that i use with Garageband. I have used it with much success but today its doing something that I have never seen before. All my projects work on playback but anything new I try to record, even when I am listening to just the preview of the instrument it sounds like a one note robotic string with some slight reverb. No filters seem to be in place everything seems as it should be when starting a new project. Everything is hooked up properly. Im using my Ibanez RG series and nothing. The track looks like it records correctly with the natural flow of the sounds its picking up but when the recording steps and I go for play back it looks like it automatically converts it. It looks kind of block shaped and doesn't have the peaks and valleys it normally does. It just looks really jagged. I checked the settings and dials on the interface but again everything is normal. Any advice??

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Hey everyone,
Forgive me if Im posting in the wrong place but I was looking for someone who could help me out with a recording issue. I have the M-Audio Fasttrack Pro interface that i use with Garageband. I have used it with much success but today its doing something that I have never seen before....

It's hard to know without being there, but there is the chance that the unit is broken. My Presonus Firebox worked fine for years then one day it didn't. I sent it in for repair and now it works again. A component inside had failed.

What you should do is try different software and the other input. Change stuff around and see if the problem moves with the box

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.