Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thelazer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
Hi Everyone.

I've setup my Mac Pro, to have two unique IP addresses. With the intention of using one IP on a Windows OS install running on VMWare Fusions and the other IP for the Mac OS itself.

I'm able to get the port configured okay in OSX. The mac is picking up the assigned IP I've given it. The 2nd port on the card, is static assigned and also working (That is, if I disable port 1, port 2 takes over and the mac IP changes)

But from that point, I'm not able to get VMWare fusions to connect to Port two. I've changed the settings in VMware, to point to the port and restarted several times with no luck. Windows just shows as having no internet access. If I change WMware back to port one, windows is then able to connect okay.

Thinking that, perhaps it's just VMware, I installed Parallels and loaded up the free Google OS thing.. and, same results, Parallels assigned to share the Mac IP works great.. but setting it to use the 2nd Ethernet port, no luck, no internet connection.

Is there, something in OSX that I'm missing, that I have to do some extra config to tell OsX to allow the card to "see" the VMware install etc?

Thanks
Jay

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Hi Everyone.

I've setup my Mac Pro, to have two unique IP addresses. With the intention of using one IP on a Windows OS install running on VMWare Fusions and the other IP for the Mac OS itself.

I'm able to get the port configured okay in OSX. The mac is picking up the assigned IP I've given it. The 2nd port on the card, is static assigned and also working (That is, if I disable port 1, port 2 takes over and the mac IP changes)

But from that point, I'm not able to get VMWare fusions to connect to Port two. I've changed the settings in VMware, to point to the port and restarted several times with no luck. Windows just shows as having no internet access. If I change WMware back to port one, windows is then able to connect okay.

Thinking that, perhaps it's just VMware, I installed Parallels and loaded up the free Google OS thing.. and, same results, Parallels assigned to share the Mac IP works great.. but setting it to use the 2nd Ethernet port, no luck, no internet connection.

Is there, something in OSX that I'm missing, that I have to do some extra config to tell OsX to allow the card to "see" the VMware install etc?

Thanks
Jay

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Why are you assigning an IP Address in OS X to the one you want Windows to use?

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
Hi Everyone.

Thanks
Jay

From what you have described the issue is with the network config on VMWare Fusion. I have a client with an identical setup, they run a Mac Pro and use a Paging system which has to be on a specific subnet and this does not work with Host or NAT settings. You will need to set the network adaptor to Bridged mode, what I can't remember is where I specified that the virtual adaptor was assigned to the 2nd network card. I think we use Parallels rather than VMWare, and unfortunately I cannot connect remotely at the moment to check the settings.

Thelazer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
A little more info and a few screen shots. First, someone asked what I am trying to accomplish. Very simple, I would like to run Windows 7, XP and other OS's on my mac, thru VMare or Fusions and have them use a unique IP address.

Kaslic, Here are a couple screen shots from how I have this setup. From what I know about Macs and Networking.. this should do it, but as you can see from the IP chicken results, no luck...

Here we see that the Mac I have is up and running on it's unique IP (Ethernet 1) and the 2nd slot on the card is assigned it's own unique IP.
http://imgur.com/nsOYpzk,nnoV771,1kfWhQc

Here is the selection in Parallels, with the VM powered off, the 2nd internet card is selected.
http://imgur.com/nsOYpzk,nnoV771,1kfWhQc#1

Finally, I've started up the VM (chrome) in this case. As you can see, it's not seeing a internet connection when assigned to the 2nd card. If I set the VM machine to share the main mac IP, I am able to login just fine on chrome.
http://imgur.com/nsOYpzk,nnoV771,1kfWhQc#2

BTW - This is a pretty stock OsX install.. nothing fancy added to it etc.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
A little more info and a few screen shots. First, someone asked what I am trying to accomplish. Very simple, I would like to run Windows 7, XP and other OS's on my mac, thru VMare or Fusions and have them use a unique IP address.

Kaslic, Here are a couple screen shots from how I have this setup. From what I know about Macs and Networking.. this should do it, but as you can see from the IP chicken results, no luck...

Here we see that the Mac I have is up and running on it's unique IP (Ethernet 1) and the 2nd slot on the card is assigned it's own unique IP.
http://imgur.com/nsOYpzk,nnoV771,1kfWhQc

Here is the selection in Parallels, with the VM powered off, the 2nd internet card is selected.
http://imgur.com/nsOYpzk,nnoV771,1kfWhQc#1

Finally, I've started up the VM (chrome) in this case. As you can see, it's not seeing a internet connection when assigned to the 2nd card. If I set the VM machine to share the main mac IP, I am able to login just fine on chrome.
http://imgur.com/nsOYpzk,nnoV771,1kfWhQc#2

BTW - This is a pretty stock OsX install.. nothing fancy added to it etc.

You idea of VM networking isn't quite right. I'm assuming you want chrome to have the IP address of 71.43.1.124? To do this you change the adapter in OS X to off and configure the manual IP in chrome.

The IP is not assigned from OS X to Chrome. Parallels and Fusion act like an ethernet hub and will plug chrome directly into your network without OS X even knowing about it. When you plug a cable into port 2 on your mac you are actually plugging into a hub where Chrome and OS X are connected into.

Thelazer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
Thank you, MonkeyBagel!!

I now have the unique IP on the virtual machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.