Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google is now showing ads in the Android and iOS versions of its Google Maps app. Google is calling them "relevant ads" and they will appear at the bottom of the screen following a search.

As The Next Web notes, Google believes the new ads will be "more attractive for users and more effective for advertisers".

googlemapsad.jpg
Relevant ads on the Google Maps app can now appear at the bottom of the screen after a user performs a search. They include a title, ad text, and a link to get directions. Users can tap or swipe upward to see more information -- this is a new click type known as "Get location details" and results in a standard CPC charge.

When users click on an ad to get location details, they'll see additional information such as the business's address, phone number, photos, reviews and more. From here, there are a number of paid and free click actions they can take. Free actions include saving business information for later, sharing a business with a friend, or starting navigation. Aggregated reporting for these free clicks is available in your account.
Google Maps is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Showing New 'Relevant' Ads in Google Maps iOS App

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I get that I'm in the minority on this, but I'd rather pay for a maps app or use Apple's "evolving" Maps rather than being force fed ads by Google.

Luckily we have those options.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Taking a page from Waze playbook. This may put Apple's Maps ahead, with its better map cache and ad free.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Unrelated

I already feel like I'm compromising and sacrificing by watching the ads before YouTube videos, and the "skip ad" button is the only reason I keep using YouTube. It's probably the only way to find a middle ground between free ad-supported content and not watching those ads.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Suddenly became a lot more interested in revisiting Apple's maps app....

Yesterday google's maps app asked me to submit a review... While i was in my car trying to pull up traffic data. Highly agitating.

Georgij

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
I hate ads. No wonder Apple removed Google maps from iOS, because Google wanted to bring ads and not allowing any new features to be implemented unless Apple allows their ads.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm glad Apple's maps have been so nearly flawless in my city, because I'd much rather be the customer that gets courted, rather than being the product that gets sold (to advertisers).

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
We knew this was coming.

If only Apple would clean up the garbage in the Yelp POI data...

I'm glad Apple's maps have been so nearly flawless in my city, because I'd much rather be the customer that gets courted, rather than being the product that gets sold (to advertisers).

Apple maps have been flawless around here as long as I have an address. The POI data, not so much.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Taking a page from Waze playbook. This may put Apple's Maps ahead, with its better map cache and ad free.

I get ads on Waze

--
Derp, misread the original post. Please disregard

Last edited:

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Ok Google Maps....delete yourself...

It's so true, we all secretly knew this was coming. Considering we use maps mostly in CARS, I think Google is showing that they would rather you have a car drive itself while you are force fed ads with your eyelids propped open with toooooth picks while Apple would prefer you drive the car and keep your eyes on the road.

ix.heart

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Seattle
Google Maps and Ads

Well I love Google Maps as it is used everyday on my phone. I hate ads more and if this is the way Google is headed I'll gladly revisit using Apple Maps. There are just some things I wont tolerate no matter how good the app may be and thats stupid ads. First time i see one, app get deleted.....

SamSmith

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I will not be ditching Google's Maps because of ads. In fact, if they are targeted, then they might even be beneficial to me. Use whatever mapping app you want though, of course.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Well they couldn't even resist not putting them in their beloved android platform, so I guess they really don't hate us apple users too much!

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I will not be ditching Google's Maps because of ads. In fact, if they are targeted, then they might even be beneficial to me. Use whatever mapping app you want though, of course.

Gee, thanks for giving me permission.;)

----------

Well they couldn't even resist not putting them in their beloved android platform, so I guess they really don't hate us apple users too much!

Of course they don't hate Apple users. In fact, they love Apple users who install Google products on their phones. They can sell those users for a very good price...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Anyone have a recommendation for a good alternative mapping app on android?

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I get that I'm in the minority on this, but I'd rather pay for a maps app or use Apple's "evolving" Maps rather than being force fed ads by Google.

Google's relevant ads stink. I am a bankruptcy attorney. I get lots of ads asking me if I want to file bankruptcy or need help with other debt issues. I also get ads regarding whether I want to go to law school.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009

Same here. I will pay whatever it takes not to see that crap. That is the reason I returned the android phone.

----------

And by "targeted" you mean you are the product that Google is making money off, using your location, and God only knows what other information

----------

Need an alternative for Android. With I could have iOS on my Nexus 4.

Love iOS but hate the iPhone hardware.

Same. Bigger screen would make me happy again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.