Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ken Segall, the creative director behind the Think Different campaign and author of Insanely Simple, a book about his experiences creating advertising for Apple, writes in a blog post about Apple's "evolving view of 'Pro'" that Steve Jobs once considered killing Apple's entire line of Pro products.
Would Apple ever even think about saying goodbye to the pro market?

I hope you're sitting down for this, but Steve Jobs did in fact once consider that very option.

This was back in the days when iMac had established itself as a global bestseller. During one of the agency's regular meetings with Steve, he shared that he was considering killing the pro products.

His rationale was as you might expect: consumer products have an unlimited upside, while pro products are aimed at a niche market that eats up major resources.
2013_mac_pro.jpg
Jobs eventually decided to keep the pro products around, but in recent years Apple has been shifting its pro products. For example, the company completely revamped its Final Cut video editing suite, slashing the price and making it significantly simpler to use pro features -- though a vocal group of Final Cut Pro users were unhappy with the changes.

The Mac Pro has gone three years without a significant update, though Apple will, as promised, release a completely redesigned Mac Pro later this year that is unlike any professional machine Apple has made before.

Segall goes on to argue that Apple is pushing 'pros' in a new direction, saying that making software powerful and easy-to-use for more customers is more important than making software that is simply powerful. He says that "Apple is walking to a place that's entirely new" with its new products, while "asking the pros to walk with them."

Article Link: Steve Jobs Once Considered Killing Apple's Pro Products

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
He says that "Apple is walking to a place that's entirely new" with its new products, while "asking the pros to walk with them."

We're fine with the walk; it's the fact that we're blindfolded and stepping on rakes that gets to us.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
i thought they already got rid of all their pro products?
or maybe i've just been reading the mac pro forum too much
:)

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
Isn't a good CEO supposed to consider just about any option?

Yes, sometimes the option is to kill off a product segment. Apple's done that many times--it's what the analysts refer to as cannibalization.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I'm very glad it didn't happen and think it would have been a bad move on Apple's part. I believe Apple's pro products have more value to Apple than their immediate ROI and Steve might have lost sight of this.

On other news, can't wait for my new Mac Pro!

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Jobs eventually decided to keep the pro products around, but in recent years Apple has been shifting its pro products. For example, the company completely revamped its Final Cut video editing suite, slashing the price and making it significantly simpler to use pro features -- though a vocal group of Final Cut Pro users were unhappy with the changes

A price slash for the Mac Pro would be very nice. A smaller device cannot be the only "shifting" going on.

PrimeMatrix

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
I was about to buy a Mac mini for a home server for graduation, but when I saw the pro at WWDC; I'm glad that I waited. This Pro seems to be exactly what I want and I didn't even think it was possible. I didn't even know how much I wanted something like this.

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
I mean, I would think less of him if he hadn't at least considered the "easy" money move.

d0mth0ma5

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
Pro is needed for the R&D that trickles down to the consumer products later. Need both to drive each other.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'd say the ONLY reason to buy a Mac at all is because there is soe software that only runs on Macs, like Logic, Final Cut and so on. If they kill of that what is the point of a Mac. Just and expensive way to run a web browser. I'd buy a Google Chrome book.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
every 6 months, there is always a damn idiot to release a so-called secret about what Jobs could have done just to get some news about him in the media :rolleyes:

this time Ken Segall, next time another guy who knew a small detail about Jobs :rolleyes:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
What seems to be happening is that though their hardware can still claim to be "pro," the software is now "prosumer." I like the new Logic a lot -- but I don't work in a NY studio. I like the new Final Cut better than the older versions -- but I don't make Hollywood movies. It's what the pros think that matters if you're making pro apps.

It's one thing for Apple to "ask the pros to walk with them." But if the pros start walking elsewhere (which many seem to be doing), how much longer will Apple keep their pro line on life support? Canceling it completely could have a ripple effect. I teach multimedia production, and if pros no longer use Apple products then I'll have little reason to teach using them. Then Apple's educational market would begin to dissolve as well. It's a slippery slope they're on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.