Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I was thinking about buying a pink Ipod 64 gb touch from macmall. I have an iPhone 5 with 16gb memory. But I'm running out of space. Is Macmall a good place to buy an IPod touch?

Thanks

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Buying iPod Touch from MacMall

I was thinking about buying a pink Ipod 64 gb touch from macmall. I have an iPhone 5 with 16gb memory. But I'm running out of space. Is Macmall a good place to buy an IPod touch?

Thanks

I recommend getting it on amazon since it is trustworthy and get it in 2 days:) 275$ too. It is also much easier to return products to amazon.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
For paying that kind of money I buy from Apple. If it's defective they will replace it on the spot in the store. MacMall is likely to try to have it fixed, leaving you with nothing until it's repaired. If you want to return it, Apple is the best choice by far.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
For paying that kind of money I buy from Apple. If it's defective they will replace it on the spot in the store. MacMall is likely to try to have it fixed, leaving you with nothing until it's repaired. If you want to return it, Apple is the best choice by far.

I'll go that . Thanks for the tip.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006

I'll go that . Thanks for the tip.

I'm 99% sure that Apple gives the same support regardless of where a product is purchased.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Care to elaborate a little more?

Well...when I went to the "Search Forums..." search box, entered "MacMall" and then hit return, I got a whole bunch of hits.

Then when I started clicking on the blue-underlined linky-things (I clicked on about 5 random ones over a couple of pages), I saw some interesting threads.

The majority of the posts on the threads would not be what I would call "favorable" to MacMall, for several reasons, which seemed to fall into a couple of general categories:
1. Stuff advertised as low price, but different model sent;
2. Stuff advertised as low price, defective upon arrival, and customer service not willing to take it back, or
3. Stuff advertised as low price, but order never filled and eventually canceled weeks or months later, so consumer never got their stuff.

But, I left it to the OP to do their research and draw their own conclusions.

I regularly do my ordering from Amazon or B&H Photo, two great places to buy from. Again, however, everybody's experiences may be different.

Caveat emptor!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Well...when I went to the "Search Forums..." search box, entered "MacMall" and then hit return, I got a whole bunch of hits.

Then when I started clicking on the blue-underlined linky-things (I clicked on about 5 random ones over a couple of pages), I saw some interesting threads.

The majority of the posts on the threads would not be what I would call "fa
I regularly do my ordering from Amazon or B&H Photo, two great places to buy from. Again, however, everybody's experiences may be different.
Caveat emptor!

MacMall advertises lots of "great" deals...but as you say...touchy..

I stick to other sellers.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
The majority of the posts on the threads would not be what I would call "favorable" to MacMall, for several reasons, which seemed to fall into a couple of general categories:
1. Stuff advertised as low price, but different model sent;
2. Stuff advertised as low price, defective upon arrival, and customer service not willing to take it back, or
3. Stuff advertised as low price, but order never filled and eventually canceled weeks or months later, so consumer never got their stuff.

But, I left it to the OP to do their research and draw their own conclusions.

Caveat emptor!

Thanks. Never bought from them considering I have multiple Apple stores near me.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
MacMall advertises lots of "great" deals...but as you say...touchy..

I stick to other sellers.

My own experience was that they double-charged my credit card. This was back around 1997, when buying a PowerMac 8500. Imagine my surpise when I saw an extra $3500 charge!

Talking to other people at the time also revealed they had problems too. Hard to believe 16 years later not much appears to have changed.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
My own experience was that they double-charged my credit card. This was back around 1997, when buying a PowerMac 8500. Imagine my surpise when I saw an extra $3500 charge!

Talking to other people at the time also revealed they had problems too. Hard to believe 16 years later not much appears to have changed.

You would think they would have worked hard to improve service, especially with other retailers like Amazon around now.

Kapnetics

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Bad experience with MacMall

I've only used MacMall once and it was a terrible experience. They changed my shipping preference on my order without notifying me. They shipped my $1500 laptop via FedEx with no signature required on delivery. The day it was to arrive, I was not going to be home and informed them. They said via email that they would process a "stop shipment and return to shipper" request after I informed them. This is an excerpt from that email, "Like what we have agreed upon, since you are not available to receive the item on the said delivery I have already created a request to return the item back on our partner’s warehouse. Once they have confirm that they have the item in possession, we will proceed with the refund back on to your Amazon account."

The day before delivery, I found that then never contacted FedEx and said on the phone, "well, if you don't get it call us back and we'll process a lost shipment claim".

IMHO, find a supplier you can trust will do what they tell you other than MacMall.

Update: Laptop was dropped off but thankfully not stolen as I left a housesitter behind to retrieve it. FedEx was not required to obtain a signature to drop the package off. Now I have the pleasure of going through the RMA process as they shipped the laptop with a 500GB HDD instead of the 750GB that was advertised. They mentioned if I couldn't live with the 500GB, I could just ship it back. I wonder how many people say, it's not worth the trouble of the return shipping and just keep the item with the reduced specs or features. They keep saying the shipment was coming from one of their "partners", so I guess it's their "partner's" fault and not MacMall's. Easy way to not take responsibility for poor business practices.

Last edited:

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
Hm, I have bought an ipod touch and ipad off MacMall, both times helped over the phone by very friendly staff. The ipad actually arrived the VERY NEXT DAY, and they did not charge shipping or tax, which saved me about $50. I was buying the lowest end models. Sorry to hear others had trouble. I would definately order from them again.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Hm, I have bought an ipod touch and ipad off MacMall, both times helped over the phone by very friendly staff. The ipad actually arrived the VERY NEXT DAY, and they did not charge shipping or tax, which saved me about $50. I was buying the lowest end models. Sorry to hear others had trouble. I would definately order from them again.

Good for you! Though I would be wary though, we always have this mindset or sentiment that "hey! I never had any kind of bad experiences before; too bad for you guys" until it finally happened to you. I would go with something more reliable. Just my two-cents.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
I would go with something more reliable. Just my two-cents.

Well, any recommendations? Sales tax here is 10% so we are talking considerable savings when you buy mail order and avoid paying sales tax. To me it's worth saving $50+ buying at macmall versus an apple retail store.. but if you have another alternative you'd suggest...please do.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
In my experience no matter where you buy the unit if its s manufacture defect apple will replace it regardless where you bought it. As to returning it for a refund that's more a case by case and up to the retailer. I would buy from amazon if you are looking force deal just my opinion.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Well, any recommendations? Sales tax here is 10% so we are talking considerable savings when you buy mail order and avoid paying sales tax. To me it's worth saving $50+ buying at macmall versus an apple retail store.. but if you have another alternative you'd suggest...please do.

I don't know, look around the internet maybe? I did mentioned reliable sources so there's Amazon and eBay (those with good reputations) and probably a lot more others, as for savings I'm not sure how much will Amazon or eBay will save you? Since I'm more concern with reputation and reliability, also just in case; I'm not from the US and I don't order anything off the internet as I prefer to be in person when I'm buying expensive things.

All I'm saying is, if you prefer MacMall as your purchasing outlet which allows you great saving then good for you, sir! I'm just the worrywart that tend to spend a tad bit more just for readability, support and service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.