Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
So I am trying to make an icon which conforms to the iOS 7 UI. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• icon mockup.JPG
    icon mockup.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 244
  • iconlogo.png
    iconlogo.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 152

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
So I am trying to make an icon which conforms to the iOS 7 UI. What do you guys think?

First off it doesn't conform to the iOS 7 UI because it has square corners.

Also - what sort of an app is it an icon for? An icon should be indicative of the app it represents. It would be easier to give a constructive response if you mentioned the purpose of this 'icon'.

Basically what you've done there is draw a circle inside a square.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
First off it doesn't conform to the iOS 7 UI because it has square corners.

Also - what sort of an app is it an icon for? An icon should be indicative of the app it represents. It would be easier to give a constructive response if you mentioned the purpose of this 'icon'.

Basically what you've done there is draw a circle inside a square.

All apps have square corners until the icon mask is given. And the app is supposed to be a timer.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

Poor contrast between the circle and background. Leave the circle alone, except add something that indicates a timing function (circular arrow or SOMETHING). Lighten the background to about 20% of what it is now.

That'll do for starters.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
Poor contrast between the circle and background. Leave the circle alone, except add something that indicates a timing function (circular arrow or SOMETHING). Lighten the background to about 20% of what it is now.

That'll do for starters.

Here is my second go

Attachments

• icon try 2.png
    icon try 2.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 126

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
The second logo looks much better, I would still add another arrow so it really makes me think that's a clock somehow. Maybe a lateral crown gear?

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I think start with the first one, and add something like in the second one,
rather than get rid of the brushed finish (if it shows up on the springboard).

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
Thanks for your guys's tips. This is my third go, and I even put the icon grid so you guys can see where everything is. (Don't worry, the grid will be gone in the actual icon.)

Attachments

• icon 2 rev 1 with grid.png
    icon 2 rev 1 with grid.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 145

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Nope. Not kidding. The thing in common with those icons (at least the ones that have more than one letter in them) is that they're HIDEOUS. Even Apple themselves talk about how you shouldn't have text.

Agreed. I was lucky enough to be at wwdc and this was a big theme there.

As a side note, your screenshot shows a lot of timers. You know we don't let duplicate apps on the App Store, or anything that just duplicates functionality? I hope yours isn't just another app that will clutter the store and confuse customers / offer nothing new?

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
Agreed. I was lucky enough to be at wwdc and this was a big theme there.

As a side note, your screenshot shows a lot of timers. You know we don't let duplicate apps on the App Store, or anything that just duplicates functionality? I hope yours isn't just another app that will clutter the store and confuse customers / offer nothing new?

What about this?

Attachments

• icon 3.png
    icon 3.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 128

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
That's better, but while it makes me think of clock, it doesn't make me think of timer. Try replacing the twelve o'clock marking with a dot and maybe even make it a different color. It tells the viewer that once the hand gets to that dot something will happen. Also, that hand needs to be thicker. It's far too narrow to be seen easily. Especially against that background. You're definitely on to something though. I think you're getting closer.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
That's better, but while it makes me think of clock, it doesn't make me think of timer. Try replacing the twelve o'clock marking with a dot and maybe even make it a different color. It tells the viewer that once the hand gets to that dot something will happen. Also, that hand needs to be thicker. It's far too narrow to be seen easily. Especially against that background. You're definitely on to something though. I think you're getting closer.

Something like this?

Attachments

• icon 4.png
    icon 4.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 103

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Something like this?

Think about what's going to happen to the hand and the dot when you downsize the image (which is how it will be viewed most of the time, as a small icon on springboard). Unless you plan on making a different version for smaller sizes...

Attachments

• icon-4.png
    icon-4.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,179

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
Think about what's going to happen to the hand and the dot when you downsize the image (which is how it will be viewed most of the time, as a small icon on springboard). Unless you plan on making a different version for smaller sizes...

That is true, but the retina display does do a good job of capturing details in icons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.