Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Barnes & Noble has released a new Nook Video app for iOS, allowing customers to watch movies and TV shows from Nook Video on their iPhones and iPads.

First launched late last year, Nook Video is designed to compete with services like iTunes and Amazon Instant Video, giving Nook users the option to purchase content like movies and TV shows through Barnes & Noble.

Like Amazon, Barnes & Noble's video service includes support for UltraViolet, which is the film industry's cloud-based content licensing system designed to work across a number of platforms. Users can sync their UltraViolet accounts to their Barnes & Noble accounts to access that content as well.

nookvideo.jpg
- Thousands of movies and TV shows available--ad free--to stream or download.
- Stream over Wi-Fi or your 3G/4G network.
- Get the hottest Hollywood releases the same day they're released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc(TM) and in some cases even earlier!
- Rent or buy movies and TV shows in standard or high definition.
- Take advantage of our NOOK Video apps for other platforms - and sync your videos across multiple devices.
- Access your UltraViolet(TM) Collection of movies and TV shows to stream instantly, or download for offline viewing.
- Start streaming your content on one device and pick up where you left off on your NOOK HD, HD+ and other NOOK Video apps. Miss something? Use the 30-second quick rewind.
While the Nook Video app can be used to view previously purchased content, iOS users are not able to make rentals and purchases from within the app.

Nook Video is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Barnes & Noble Releases New Nook Video App for iOS

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
I'll wait on this content to come to Netflix.

And Ultraviolet? I have to actually buy a disc to get access to that. I'd prefer it work on the iTunes Store than need some third party system.

eddystrasser

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
lol is this a joke?

why do companies insist on making branded apps that we have no need for?

so out of touch it's laughable

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Getting a Nook video app on the AppleTV, while an Amazon Prime app continues to look completely hopeless, would just be the cruelest joke ever.

Just get a Roku if you want an Amazon video app on. I only use my Apple tv to stream my own content. Everything else, I just use the Roku. Plus it works with older non HD tv's as well HD tv's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.