Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today's Apple TV update breaks the PlexConnect client that allowed Plex -- the advanced server-client media player -- to run on non-jailbroken Apple TV devices.

Plex allows users to store movie and TV show files on a server and then view those files on a wide variety of client devices including Macs, PCs, a number of smart televisions, the Roku box and the Apple TV. The server also connects to Internet databases to pull IMDB-type metadata on media.

plexconnect.jpg
The client, called PlexConnect, used a hack to get video from the Plex Media Server onto the Apple TV. A small Python program on the Mac intercepted DNS requests from the Movie Trailers app on the Apple TV and instead returned a custom XML feed that delivered a list of media and movie streams to the device.

Now, however, Apple has closed the loophole. Previously, the Trailers app used regular HTTP requests and the PlexConnect app intercepted those requests. Now, the Trailers app uses HTTPS and it is likely impossible for the Plex programmers to overcome it.

Plex CTO Elan Feingold told MacRumors that the company was "saddened to hear that PlexConnect stopped working" and that "we can only hope that in the future Apple decides to release an SDK for the ATV". "The level of interest in the project was quite high."

Article Link: Latest Apple TV Update Breaks PlexConnect Client

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
The truth is that the ATV client for local itunes media sharing is pretty terrible for large libraries. It would be nice if they would allow third party media centre apps or at least fix theirs to stop sucking. It's annoying to have to use airplay and plex on my IOS device in order to enjoy (ie:find anything in)my media library.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I believe you need to either restart the Apple TV or back out of PlexConnect all the way to the main menu.

Until then, you're good to go!

I was at the main menu when I saw the new channels on screen. Still works just fine. As far as restarting, I never do that, so *crossing fingers*...

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Argh, that's too bad. Had a nice little set up for my media from my NAS. It made my Apple TV the ONLY box I needed and wanted on my TV.
Oh well.. onto alternate methods and to add something to my TV setup, besides the Apple TV. Sounds so backwards in that it is pushing me to another product. But I know they have a very specific ecosystem to endorse, and content providers to keep happy.

Not to threadcap, and maybe not the most approriate place to ask, but could a Google Chromecast dongle make it possible to stream media from a Nas, similar to what PlexConnect allowed? A suitable replacement? Has anyone tried?

I realize that Google did something to block local media from being streamed, but the latest from that fiasco is that it was inadverdant, and should be fixable soon. But I am not sure how well this worked to begin with.

Thanks.

philfry

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
And this is why I haven't updated my atv3 since getting it. All I need is plex and netflix.

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
This totally just ruined the Apple TV for me. Plex is 90% of what I did with it and the only thing that made it truly useful. I guess if I update by accident down the road or something I'll just go and buy a Roku 3 or some such thing.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
The truth is that the ATV client for local itunes media sharing is pretty terrible for large libraries. It would be nice if they would allow third party media centre apps or at least fix theirs to stop sucking.

Since Jobs considered the Apple TV a "hobby", its interface apparently didn't have to live up the standards he set for the iPhone and iPad. It's a great device and it's become my main box for watching TV and movies, but the UI could use quite a bit of polish.

Scott38660

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
I found another solution which involves an iPhone, iPad or later Macs. If you go to my.plexapp.com and find your server or directly connect using your IP on your local network and port 32400 you can browse what's on your plex server from any device that has AirPlay mirroring or additional screen and stream the content from your browser to your AppleTV.

The downside of this method is obviously the need for an additional intermediary device which also requires a more robust network (that is in the iOS device scenario). Indeed you're now streaming encoded content between your server and AirPlay device and decoded/compressed content between the latter and your Apple TV.
The upside however, is the lack of any hacks required to make this work.

Has anyone found other workarounds?

meeks

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
Does the atv update itself automatically? I just got one and haven't had an update yet.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I know this doesn't help atv3 people but what about an interim jail break app that did what the old http trailers app did?

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
There is always ROKU....

I was told by several people online that Roku CAN'T stream movies from your Mac to your tv. Am I wrong here? I hope I am then I will definitely look into the Roku.

As for ATV could you not just jailbreak it and then use Plex?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I was told by several people online that Roku CAN'T stream movies from your Mac to your tv. Am I wrong here? I hope I am then I will definitely look into the Roku.

There is a native Plex app on Roku. Install your Plex Media Server on a PC, and then Plex on Roku sees it. No muss, No fuss. Originally it was true that Roku couldn't support local content, but then came Roksbox, and Chaneru, and a whole host of others, and then finally Plex.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
There is always ROKU....

Yep!If you really want Plex enough just get one and be done with it.You'll get Amazon Prime and some other stuff in the deal.
I know it's not what people would rather do,but it's better to just face reality and do what you need to do.

----------

No jailbreak for ATV3.

Head on over to the Roku site and check out the"channel store".
Plex,Netflix,Amazon Prime,and USB drives are all supported.Plus an RF remote so no pointing.
Downside-No airplay,no iTunes store access.
Having both isn't too terribly expensive.

jmitch720

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Why not use the Plex iOS app?

Why go through all the trouble of setting up http redirecting or whatever trickery when you can just use the iOS app to AirPlay to Apple TV? In all the time I have used Plex, I have only ever used my Mac as the server, and streamed to my iPhone then AirPlay to Apple TV. It is quick and easy. I can probably find a movie on the iPhone and select AirPlay, faster than it would take me to use a Plex Apple TV app with the stupid Apple TV remote. Am I missing something? Why is everyone acting like closing this loophole ends all Plex/Apple TV functionality. Just use the iOS app! I understand that not everyone has an iOS device, but who gets an Apple TV and doesn't own an iPhone or iPad?!

Note: The Plex iOS app does cost $5 but is so worth it.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
You don't need Plex folks. Ever heard of iTunes Home Sharing?

Store everything on your Mac or PC, (including externally attached hard drive), and then log into iTunes on your Apple TV, and turn on Home Sharing.

Besides, if you want to access your content on the go, I would rather bring my external hard drive with me to my friend's house (or my Mac or PC) and just airplay it.

You don't need it, and frankly, I'm glad Apple fixed this loophole, because it can become a security risk in the long run. (there is a way to exploit this and allow some thief to log your iTunes password, and then using that, to rack up lots of iTunes purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.