Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GiantsFan01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
I am hoping that the fusion drive is at least included. It is a necessity with the increase in speed but the extra $250 is steep currently.

I can live with 8 GB Ram and I am praying that they include the ability to upgrade in the new version.

What do you all expect the pricing to come in at?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
What do you think the specs will be for the new 21.5 iMac base model? I am hoping that the fusion drive is at least included. It is a necessity with the increase in speed but the extra $250 is steep currently. I can live with 8 GB Ram and I am praying that they include the ability to upgrade in the new version. What do you all expect the pricing to come in at?

Historically, the pricing doesn't seem to fluctuate all that much with updates; you just get a better machine at the same price point. Keep in mind, no one is expecting a redesigned iMac, just spec bumps.

Having said that, nothing much has been speculated about as a realistic possibility, other than the expected Haswell processor and 802.11ac wireless chip. Ram on the base model, will likely stay at 8GB. Maybe, just maybe, graphics might get a bit of a boost, but including the fusion drive standard, on the base model, while staying around the same price point, seems a bit of a stretch, but I'll happily eat my words, if that were the case.

Hopefully, we'll get our answer before the end of October, alongside the new MacPro and Mavericks.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I am hoping that the fusion drive is at least included. It is a necessity with the increase in speed but the extra $250 is steep currently.

I can live with 8 GB Ram and I am praying that they include the ability to upgrade in the new version.

I expect pricing to be similar for the base models, certain options may come down in price. I do not expect RAM will be user upgradable as I doubt they will redesign the iMac so soon.

I'm not sure if the Fusion Drive would become standard, but if not, it's price could drop.

I do expect 802.11ac, and that SSDs will be PCIe based.

Other than that, it depends on which GPUs and processors Apple elects to use in each iMac model.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Pricing across the models won't change at all IMO. Base model will also receive only small incremental updates (haswell cpu, nvidia 700 series gpu, wifi ac, pcie ssd) with no fusion drive included. Hi-end 21.5 model, however, currently has a $300 gap between it and the base model, while offering almost nothing aside of what base model has. Which makes me believe that it (and both 27 models) could get a fusion drive as a standard. Just my $0.02.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hopefully something fully flash, not fusion.
Fusion as standard maybe on some o fthe models. Won't be SSD for a variety of reasons.

Hopefully fusion as standard, no way will they go ssd only unless they want to price everyone out of buying an iMac. ;)
And if they did put in an SSD for the same price, it would be too small and cause too many customer issues in the default configs.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I expect pricing to be similar for the base models...
I'm not sure if the Fusion Drive would become standard, but if not, it's price could drop. I do expect 802.11ac, and that SSDs will be PCIe based. Other than that, it depends on which GPUs and processors Apple elects to use in each iMac model.

I agree...Also, it's possible APPLE to include i5 Haswell + HD4600/5000 series graphics in the base model...I am not sure if there is a PCIe SSD in a fusion drive as "STANDARD" in the base model! Let's see if the Haswell Mac mini base model scores better than an 21.5'' Haswell iMac base model...:eek:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
yes but worth it

You can live with it now, but not when the next OSX comes out maybe? As the form factor prevents the user upgrade (and will continue to do so on the 21") I would pay for 16GB from Apple as your prayers are not going to be answer

Same as now more or less.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Like? Real interested listen to this.
1. cost
2. ssd (for OS and software) + traditional hdd (filedump) is the best of two worlds (speed+capacity)
3. no need in shrinking the size of storage device (there's space for both blade ssd and hdd)

Last edited:

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007

I don't think the Fusion drive will be included but the price points will remain the same in my opinion. The 21.5" iMac is fairly easy to predict.

They'll use an embedded CPU on the motherboard that will come with Iris Pro 5200 graphics, all models of the 21.5" will lose the discrete graphics.

2.7 GHz quad core i5 for the 'good' spec.
3GHz i5 quad core for the 'better' spec.
3.2GHz i7 quad core with hyperthreading for the 'best' spec - a BTO upgrade from the 'better' spec.

You can expect them to retain the same case shell - the cpu has the same thermal profile - and the graphics will be a rough match for the discrete versions offered on the Ivy Bridge models GT640M and GT650M while actually producing less heat because there will be no discrete GPU.

Effectively, I'm saying the prices will stay the same and the iMac 21.5" models will run cooler.

If you want to continue to speculate on the 27" models, we could see an overclocked version of all of the above to improve the graphics on the base models, with discrete NVidia parts for the 'better' and 'best' but that's very much speculation on my part.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Oh.. my.. god..
I do really hope you're wrong and Apple won't use iGPUs in iMacs. I actually thought there's only one desktop Cpu with 5200pro on-board, but it turns out there's the full iMac-ready bunch of them :(

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I don't think the Fusion drive will be included but the price points will remain the same in my opinion. The 21.5" iMac is fairly easy to predict.

They'll use an embedded CPU on the motherboard that will come with Iris Pro 5200 graphics, all models of the 21.5" will lose the discrete graphics.

2.7 GHz quad core i5 for the 'good' spec.
3GHz i5 quad core for the 'better' spec.
3.2GHz i7 quad core with hyperthreading for the 'best' spec - a BTO upgrade from the 'better' spec.

You can expect them to retain the same case shell - the cpu has the same thermal profile - and the graphics will be a rough match for the discrete versions offered on the Ivy Bridge models GT640M and GT650M while actually producing less heat because there will be no discrete GPU.

Effectively, I'm saying the prices will stay the same and the iMac 21.5" models will run cooler.

If you want to continue to speculate on the 27" models, we could see an overclocked version of all of the above to improve the graphics on the base models, with discrete NVidia parts for the 'better' and 'best' but that's very much speculation on my part.

I don't expect Iris 5200 will be used in iMac because they are too much expensive. i5-4570R costs near $300, maybe more expensive than i5+dGPU.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
1. cost
2. ssd (for OS and software) + traditional hdd (filedump) is the best of two worlds (speed+capacity)
3. no need in shrinking the size of storage device (there's space for both blade ssd and hdd)

You do realize cost is irrelevant to several. Also, Space is limited and I bet Apple would much rather sell you the speed and performance boost over storage.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
You do realize cost is irrelevant to several. Also, Space is limited and I bet Apple would much rather sell you the speed and performance boost over storage.

You do realize Apple never looked up to several, don't you? Plus, current gen iMac won't change its design for several years, so there IS and WILL BE space for HDD.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Two possible but unlikely things they could add are HDMI in and 1080p camera.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You do realize Apple never looked up to several, don't you? Plus, current gen iMac won't change its design for several years, so there IS and WILL BE space for HDD.

Doesn't mean Apple can't just substitute completely for an SSD. Remember, an SSD may consume only 2W of power, where as a conventional HDD can go up to 7W... those 5W make a huge difference in the thermal scope of the iMac.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
More than.....

"I think....." is a " I wish....."

1-Bigger Fusion
2-Better GPU options. Or a wider choice.....
3-Haswell, for sure.....:D

:):apple:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
"I think....." is a " I wish....."
1-Bigger Fusion
When you say big Fusion, do you mean a larger SSD portion of the Fusion Drive, larger HD portion or both? After some though, it's possible Apple could offer 2TB and/or 4TB disks in the next iMac either in addition to or replace some of the current disk capacities. If I was ordering a new iMac right now, I wouldn't mind seeing a Fusion drive that was 256GB SSD/2TB HD as an option.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Oh.. my.. god..
I do really hope you're wrong and Apple won't use iGPUs in iMacs. I actually thought there's only one desktop Cpu with 5200pro on-board, but it turns out there's the full iMac-ready bunch of them :(

They will not drop the dGPU because is too much difference in power. Think about it for the high end 21.5" will see at least 750M vs iris pro? at least 30% difference, and not to talk about the difference between Irir pro and 680MX/780M

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Exactly my tought.....

When you say big Fusion, do you mean a larger SSD portion of the Fusion Drive, larger HD portion or both? After some though, it's possible Apple could offer 2TB and/or 4TB disks in the next iMac either in addition to or replace some of the current disk capacities. If I was ordering a new iMac right now, I wouldn't mind seeing a Fusion drive that was 256GB SSD/2TB HD as an option.

Bigger overall size or bigger flash memory section....either way, we consumers gain.....:D

:):apple:

Tjosansa

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2013
An iMac 21,5" with 660mx or 675 mx graphic card would make me thinking of buying one. Or actually then i would buy 2.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
They will not drop the dGPU because is too much difference in power. Think about it for the high end 21.5" will see at least 750M vs iris pro? at least 30% difference, and not to talk about the difference between Irir pro and 680MX/780M

I really hope they won't go rMBP route here, since iMac doesn't need the heat and power draw reduction indeed. But you should admit, that the availability of the whole required line-up of 65w Haswell CPUs with Iris Pro does really look suspicious.

----------

An iMac 21,5" with 660mx or 675 mx graphic card would make me thinking of buying one. Or actually then i would buy 2.

There will be no 6xx series GPUs in the next iMacs, since the whole 7xx series line-up is available already.

p.s. I wish they'd come up with 1gb 740m/750m for 21.5 models with 2gb 760m/760m BTO for the hi-end model. I'd definitely gave up my current iMac to my wife for graphics work and buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.