Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

15tigers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
So news has spread that iPhone 5's are selling at walmart for 100$ with a 2-year contract. Seeing as I'm eligible for an upgrade would now be a good time to buy?

Also I'm assuming buying an iPhone 5 would be a better deal than splurging on a 5s..

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
They were $200 with a 2 year contract. So the savings is $100. While that's more than zero, it isn't the world's greatest deal ever.

Probably the 5s will be $200 and the 5c will be less. I'd wait til the 10th and see. Best Buy and Walmart will still have some 5 models after the 10th.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
So news has spread that iPhone 5's are selling at walmart for 100$ with a 2-year contract. Seeing as I'm eligible for an upgrade would now be a good time to buy?

Also I'm assuming buying an iPhone 5 would be a better deal than splurging on a 5s..

The only amount you need to worry about is an iphone is $30x24 months which is at least $720 depending on what data/text plan your on. I am in the lowest that AT&T gives and it's still a **** ton of money. Saving $100 bucks and not getting the 5s in my opinion is dumb as your already spending over $720 + $36 to activate the phone.

Later on once your plan is over you can trade the phone to a best buy/radio shack/ online source/craigslist for more money than the iphone 6s or 7 will cost you 2 years down the road. People want no contract iphones and a new iphone is like 700 bucks w/o a plan.

The $100 bucks you save up front will end up costing you. My roommate got a free galaxy 3 phone that came out this year for free with a 2 year contract. Way better option than spending $100 for a 1 year old phone that is potentially not even going to be sold anymore after Sept 10th.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
That's true of a $0 Android phone, too. So, that's not exactly a buying point.

The current iphone 5 will most likely no longer be sold or be free if there really is a iPhone 5c(prob 100 with 2 year) and iPhone 5s(200 w/ 2 year)

No I see people worry about the device sticker price but the big issue is the extra cost to own

15 bucks for 200mbs, 20 for 300mbs !!! Lowest options !!! + texting 10-15 bucks !!!!

I mean if the extra $100 bucks is going to kill you considering a new one is coming out in less then 1 week. Then you probably shouldn't get a smartphone.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
The Wal-Mart price is excellent. I've had a great experience with my iPhone 5, and have no desire to buy a 5S even though I'm eligible for the upgrade subsidy. All I am wanting is a larger display, and thats not about to happen anytime soon. Newer is not always better, and unless a fingerprint sensor excites you, an iPhone 5 is an excellent choice.

wmitch

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
It's a good price and the IP5 is fantastic but at this point i think i would wait it out another week. I wouldn't be surprised to see the deals get even better.

I could be wrong but about this time last year, didn't Best Buy knock the 4S down to $49?

mizaco

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
I'd spend that $200 on the upcoming Nexus phone and with just a little more out of your pocket, get it unlocked and high-end hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.