Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefangordo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
So there is no way to see the weather forcast in the NC anymore? Such as the 5 day forcast? Looks like it just shows current temp and high. That stinks and is a step backwards if so.:confused:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So there is no way to see the weather forcast in the NC anymore? Such as the 5 day forcast? Looks like it just shows current temp and high. That stinks and is a step backwards if so.:confused:

It it "Today" view. It shows you what the weather will be like today. To check the 5 day forecast, just tap the weather description and it will open up the nice new weather app. :D

applefangordo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
It it "Today" view. It shows you what the weather will be like today. To check the 5 day forecast, just tap the weather description and it will open up the nice new weather app. :D

Yeah but I don't like to have to go into another app like that. I prefer the old way on this. :(

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah but I don't like to have to go into another app like that. I prefer the old way on this. :(

Well, I definitely understand..but the thinking is that the Today tab is for just that, info about today, including weather, traffic, calendar events, etc..With that thinking, it doesn't make sense to include other days forecasts.

Think of it like this - the old way, you had to swipe on today's weather to see the week's forecast. Now, you just tap today's weather to take you to the app. It's still just one screen touch away, just a different system.

ds705

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2013
For some reason, my weather isn't showing up in the notification center. Looked everywhere, what am I missing?

Weather might not be on in your location services, it just appears as text in notification center

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
For some reason, my weather isn't showing up in the notification center. Looked everywhere, what am I missing?

Weather might not be on in your location services, it just appears as text in notification center

This, it Weather needs to be On under Location Services. And as ds705 said, it shows up as just text in NC, no image (in case that's what you're looking for).

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Well, I definitely understand..but the thinking is that the Today tab is for just that, info about today, including weather, traffic, calendar events, etc..With that thinking, it doesn't make sense to include other days forecasts.

Think of it like this - the old way, you had to swipe on today's weather to see the week's forecast. Now, you just tap today's weather to take you to the app. It's still just one screen touch away, just a different system.

Sure, you just have to tap to see a five day forecast, then double tap the home button, then swipe up to close the app, then tap again to go somewhere else.

I'm glad apple is all about saving time. :rolleyes:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Sure, you just have to tap to see a five day forecast, then double tap the home button, then swipe up to close the app, then tap again to go somewhere else.

There's no need to close the app.

They're going for a cohesive theme. The TODAY view is about Today, not the next five days. I agree, it may not be as convenient, but when it's just a couple clicks of a button and 1 or 2 seconds difference, it's not that big of a deal.

Talk about first world problems.

applefangordo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013

That makes sense when you put it that way.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
https://forums.macrumors.com/index.php

To be fair, Notification Center is largely worthless.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
To be fair, Notification Center is largely worthless.

How so? The Today tab tells me about today's weather, my schedule for the day, a brief over view of my stocks, shows me today's reminders, and tells me what my day tomorrow looks like. The All tab shows me my notifications.

How is that worthless?

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
How so? The Today tab tells me about today's weather, my schedule for the day, a brief over view of my stocks, shows me today's reminders, and tells me what my day tomorrow looks like. The All tab shows me my notifications.

How is that worthless?

I guess probably because I can remember what to do each day, and usually stick my head out the window to check the weather. Hourly updates for things like rain would be nice, but requires going to the weather app in the end.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

What's that about? There's no need to close apps.

----------

I guess probably because I can remember what to do each day, and usually stick my head out the window to check the weather. Hourly updates for things like rain would be nice, but requires going to the weather app in the end.

I can remember what to do each day as well. However, it's nice to see it all laid out so I can check on things with a quick glance.

About the weather, yes, of course you could do that..Unless you work in an office..and not right next to a window. It's nice to wake up, pull down NC, see what's going on today and what the weather will be like for the day.

If it's not all that useful for you, then don't use it..which I'm guessing you're not. So no problems then.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Um. Battery? Cell Usage?

It doesn't effect battery life, nor does it effect cellular usage. Only if an app is not coded properly will it continue to run in the background, which is the only way it would effect battery usage. Applications like Maps are the only apps designed to run in the background, but they will stop when you end the navigation.

In iOS 7, some apps are given permission to run in the background, but those can be turned off. And that functions regardless of whether the app is currently closed out in the multitasking window.

I had the same misconception when multitasking was introduced. I would close out of all apps quite frequently. Once I found out how it really works, I stopped, and my battery life has been just as good as before. And I have not seen any additional cellular usage in the 3 years since multitasking has been around.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
It doesn't effect battery life, nor does it effect cellular usage. Only if an app is not coded properly will it continue to run in the background, which is the only way it would effect battery usage. Applications like Maps are the only apps designed to run in the background, but they will stop when you end the navigation.

In iOS 7, some apps are given permission to run in the background, but those can be turned off. And that functions regardless of whether the app is currently closed out in the multitasking window.

I had the same misconception when multitasking was introduced. I would close out of all apps quite frequently. Once I found out how it really works, I stopped, and my battery life has been just as good as before. And I have not seen any additional cellular usage in the 3 years since multitasking has been around.

So you're saying NO running app will drain the battery or have cell usage because its in the background?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.